Chapter 20 - A Trip Down Memory Lane

The rest of the drive was silent, other than the other officers cutting in on the radio and reporting stuff. Once we got to the police station, we were put in separate rooms to be questioned. Currently, I am the only person in this white room with a window that you can only see through from the outside. I exhaled for a good moment and groaned because I'm so sick and tired of not being able to relax for a change. Five minutes pass and I'm still the only one in the room. And now just sit in silence. Great. Now I have 'Car Radio' by Twenty One Pilots stuck in my head. Not that I'm complaining...at least I have some entertainment while I'm waiting. I sing in my head and try not to sing out loud..which believe it or not, it is harder than you think.

Sometimes quiet is violent
I find it hard to hide it
My pride is no longer inside
It's on my sleeve
My skin will scream
Reminding me of
Who I killed
Inside my dream
I hate this car that I'm driving
There's no hiding for me
I'm forced to deal with what I feel
There is no distraction
To mask what is real
I could pull the steering wheel

I have these thoughts
So often
I ought to replace that slot
With what I once bought
'Cause somebody stole
My car radio
And now I just sit in silence...

I was interrupted by the sound of a door creaking open and a woman stepped in, wearing a black pantsuit. Not my first choice if you ask me...but it does scream authority. She pulled out the chair from the opposite side of the table in which I was sitting and sat down, placing a beige file on the table.

"Nice singing," she told me.

Crap. I must've been singing it out loud this whole time without knowing...oh well. I hope they enjoying the show while they had it.

"Thanks," I mumbled and pursed my lips.

The woman had dark skin and brown hair, with vibrant blue eyes that could put you in a trance if you'd let them. But she also had a nice, calming voice. Somehow, it reminds me of the ocean. It's the kind of voice my favorite teacher, Ms. Barbara, had when I was in 2nd grade.

"Do you know why you're here?" she asked.

"All I know is my boyfriend and I are being accused for a crime we didn't commit," I replied.

Her smile at my response threw me off. "Fire...you remind me so much of my own daughter because of your fire."

My first thought was not, in fact, 'I don't know if I should be flattered or not...' It was, 'Oh my god! I'm Katniss Everdeen!' And I think that says a lot. Whoops.

"Thank you," I smirked.

"Where were you the night of the murder?" she asked.

"Homecoming."

"Who were you with?"

"My date, at the time, Cameron Matthews."

I still regret him.

"And where was Skyler?"

"Homecoming. He was actually with me a majority of the time because..." I trailed off, knowing what I was going to say. Cameron was barely with me because he had to go to the hospital that night unexpectedly...oh. My. God. Can Cameron be capable of something that I never thought he would do?

"Because...?"

"Because Cameron ditched me that night..."

Author's Note:
Cameron was never gone.
Do you think he killed Victoria?

Thanks for all the support! Y'all should listen to Twenty One Pilots though...they're my favorite band. =D

Xoxo,
Grace