Chapter 17 - On The Road

Road Trip Playlist #1:
•Fight Song - Rachel Platten
•Something Big - Shawn Mendes
•Raised By Wolves - U2
•The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - U2
•I Bet My Life - Imagine Dragons

Skyler and I were somewhere in Southern Pennsylvania when I heard him say, "Mariah! Quick! Before we run out of time!"

I was absolutely confused, but before I could ask, he grabbed my face and smashed his lips onto mine. We didn't part until at least 3 cars honked behind us.

"Red light," he said, answering my question without even knowing.

I returned to the book I was reading, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. It was this exact paragraph that had me cracking up: "Failed Girl Tactic #4: The Boob Compliment. In seventh grade, Mara LaBastille had a terrific pair of boobs. But it's just never a good idea to compliment a girl's boobs. I had to learn this the hard way. Also, it's somehow worse to draw attention to the fact that there are two boobs. I don't know why this is, but it's true. 'You have nice boobs.' Bad. 'You have two nice boobs.' Worse. 'Two boobs? Perfect.' F minus."

I know. It's probably bad I cracked up so hard that I got Skyler to start laughing at me laughing, but it was just so damn funny. The whole book is so damn funny.

"What are you laughing about?" he asked.

I had no idea how to explain this to him. Instead of giving him the details, I said, "Just..this book."

Skyler smiled and I couldn't help but ask why. He told me it was because I was adorable. I had a deep blush, but turned away to look out the window so he wouldn't notice.

"Twenty-six more hours," Skyler announced.

Receipt from Gassy's Gas Station:
•Four King-Size Hershey Bars
•Two Bottles of Pepsi
•Three Bags of Chips

Don't ask me why they decided to name it 'Gassy's Gas Station'. I would just tell you that there's a rumor that it has the gassiest gas in town or something cheesy.

For the past hour, it has been silent. As in so silent you don't know if you are deaf or not. By now, I'm about 150 pages into Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Just in case you decide to read this, which you absolutely should because it's freaking hilarious, I won't tell you what's happening.

You're welcome.

Skyler cleared his throat very briefly and looked over at me for about a milli-second before looking back at the road. "We're staying at a motel tonight. Is that okay? You know, considering what happened la-"

"It's fine," I interrupted him. The memories came back from the night at our first motel. Shivers rolled down my spine. After that experience, motels became practically my worst fear.

Could you blame me?

Author's Note:
What do you think will happen at the motel?

Xoxo,

Grace