Chapter 18 - Bad Things Happen At Motels

Road Trip Playlist #2:
•Search Party - Sam Bruno
•Smile - Mikky Ekko
•Aftertaste - Shawn Mendes
•Tear In My Heart - twenty one pilots
•Kid in Love - Shawn Mendes

The wind was blowing harshly against my skin, debris flying everywhere. Where am I? How did I get here? The rain was pouring down on my face and I could barely see a thing. All I know is that I'm in the woods. During a freak storm. Skyler is nowhere in sight. I see a lighthouse on top of a hill. I can make it there to get a clearer view of what's going on. I struggle to keep moving forward, for the wind is too strong. Mother Nature is not happy today. When I finally manage to reach the lighthouse, I see a huge twister off to my left. What the -

I woke up with a start. I was drenched in sweat, but I was safe. It's okay, Mariah. You're still in the motel room. Everything is fine. It's gonna be okay. Skyler is right next to you, asleep. You are perfectly safe.

I looked out the window and saw a bright beam of sunlight breaking through the clouds. I looked over at the clock that read 5:43 am and decided to stay up. I'm not that tired anyway. I rubbed my eyes and walked towards the bathroom to take a shower when I heard Skyler groan and say, "Come back to bed."

"I'm not tired," I told him.

He groaned again and sat up. After about 15 seconds of just sitting there, he heaved himself out of bed, making the mattress creak from the weight being taken off of it. "What time are we leaving?" I asked him.

"6:30," he replied.

That's when we heard the knock on our door. Well, if you ask me, it was more like a banging. Skyler and I exchanged eye contact and we both walked to the door, not expecting what was going to happen next.

Skyler put his hand on the knob and I held my breath. I hate motels. When the door swung open, two police officers were standing there, hands on their hips.

"Skyler Gisondo and Mariah Morris?" one asked.

"May we help you?" Skyler asked politely.

"Yes, actually. You're under arrest for the murder of Victoria Belgium," the opposite police officer said in authority, while both of them got out hand cuffs and starting turning us around, putting the cuffs on us.

"I-I don't understand," I stuttered.

"You have the right to speak to an attorney."

Author's Note:
I didn't really like this chapter that much. But the next ones will be a lot more satisfying, I promise. :)

Xoxo,
Grace