Chapter 9 - The Motel

The motel was a bit run down, but that was okay. When we pulled into the parking lot, the first thing I noticed was the gang. People stood around, loitering I guess you can say, and smoked their cigarettes. I didn't feel comfortable getting out, so Skyler walked right by my side and put a protective arm around me.

"Hey! Isn't that that rich kid Skyler Gisondo?" A guy in the gang asked. He couldn't have been older than 18.

Skyler didn't answer him, though, so we kept walking. I could've sworn I heard them say, "Damn. I wonder what we could do if we had that money...," but I just shook it off.

"One room, please," Skyler said to the woman once we got through the check-in doors.

The woman gave Skyler a key for Room 214. I don't think she cared how old we were as long as we payed the price, which was fifty dollars.

I felt bad that Skyler had to pay for it, but then again this was his idea. Just to dissolve the guilt, I would have to pay him back twenty-five on Monday.

Skyler and I started walking to our room, getting dirty stares from the gang along our way. There were 5 people that I could see in that group. And they were all tough, muscular guys.

"Skyler, I don't have a good feeling about this..maybe we should just go...," I whispered.

"Just keep walking," he replied, giving the gang a death stare.

We didn't talk much when we got to our room. We were both too tired that we practically passed out when we laid on the full-size bed. Skyler slept on the right side and I slept on the left.

"Maybe we should go to the store and get some stuff. You know, tooth paste, deodorant, stuff like that," Skyler said the next morning.

"That's probably I good idea," I replied, suddenly realizing that I didn't bring anything with me.

We both put on our shoes and headed out. The gang was still there, smoking their cigarettes.

"Hey!" A guy called and pointed at us.

The whole gang came walking over to us and Skyler kept whispering, "Just keep walking, Mariah. Just keep walking..."

"Let's make this trip fun," I finally said when we got in the car.

"And how so?" Skyler asked.

"We both have 6 minutes to get the stuff we need. If the other person isn't by the car at the end of those 6 minutes, we have the choice to leave."

"Like in 'Paper Towns'? By John Green?"

"Yeah! How did you know?"

"I read the book, duh. He's my favorite author. I never knew you were interested in that kind of stuff."

"Well, yeah! Of course! What's your favorite book of his?" I asked, getting way too excited.

"Probably 'Looking For Alaska'. What about you?" He asked, smiling. I could see he was trying to hide his excitement too.

"'The Fault In Our Stars'."

The whole way to the supermarket, we talked about John Green and other books. It seemed like it was only, like, 5 seconds before we got there. But, in reality, it was actually 20 minutes.

"Ready?" Skyler asked when we reached the front doors. We both had a grip on one of the door handles, so when it was time, when would be able to run in.