Chapter 10 - Pay Phone

"Look, I just want an answer. A simple 'Yes' or 'No'," I said into the pay phone I was using to call Cameron. I tried calling 5 times already, but he's still not picking up. I told Skyler I was going for a walk. I knew it was wrong to lie to him, but I knew he would say that Cameron isn't worth my time. But, I just wanted an answer.

"Damn," I mumbled to myself as I slammed the phone into place.

I looked at it for a while, wondering if I should try again. But I just shook off the feeling, turned away, and ran back to the motel.

"That was quick," Skyler said when I got back.

"Yeah, well...I guess I'm just too tired," I sighed.

Skyler pushed his eyebrows together as I sat down on the edge of the bed. He stared at me, waiting for an explanation. Good. I'm tired of lying anyway.

"I tried to call Cameron. I need to know what we are. I know he's probably not worth my time, but he's taking it all up by leaving the question unanswered. I don't know. I want to know, but I feel like I'm wasting all of my money on him."

Skyler didn't object, he just grabbed his phone from his back pocket and handed it over to me.

"Thank you...," I smiled apologetically.

I dialed Cameron's number and hit call.

"Hello?" His voice picked up on the 3rd ring.

"Um..hi..I'm sorry for calling, I just need to know. I can't waste anymore time being confused on what I did or what we are. Are we over?" I swallowed, waiting for an answer.

Finally, Cameron sighed and said, "No. I shouldn't have lashed out on you like that. It wasn't your fault."

"Thank god."

I was so happy I started laughing. I looked over at Skyler, who was biting his bottom lip and looking down at his lap.

"Sorry I ignored your calls before. I just...I just didn't know what to say and I wasn't ready."

"It's okay. Really. I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay?"

"Okay."

I hung up and gave Skyler back his phone. I hugged him so much that he couldn't breathe.

"Thank you...," I whispered.

"Thank you...for being the only one who trusts me," he whispered back, as he wrapped his arms around me.

"What do you mean?" I broke the hug short and looked into his green eyes.

"My parents don't believe me when I say I had nothing to do with Victoria Belgium. That I didn't even know her. They just won't believe me because I'm always out. I never tell them who I'm hanging out with or who I'm texting because it's just none of their business, you know? If they can have their privacy and secrets, then so can I."

"Thanks. I had a lot of fun this weekend," I told Skyler as I dropped him off by his car, which was still on the side of Main Street.

"Yeah, me too," he said. He smiled at me and got out of my mom's car.

Mom.

Damn, I'm gonna get in so much trouble. Did she even have a car for work? Crap. I'm stupid. I didn't even think about that before.

Skyler got his fair share of groceries out of the trunk and stuffed them in his own. He said he is going to wait for his dad to come pick him up, so I drove off.

And this time, towards my own house for once.

I took a deep breath, got out of the car, and walked through my front door. My mom was sitting there on the living room chair, staring blankly at the wall across from her.

"Mom?" I asked.

"This time, it went over the line. I was worried sick about you. Thanks for stealing my car, by the way. And don't try to apologize because I don't think you are sorry. If you were, you wouldn't have done this. And I know you were with Skyler Gisondo," she said, holding up the magazine 'Star Weekly'. She got up and turned towards the kitchen, but stopped. She spun around to look at me and added, "I hope you're happy."

I looked over at the magazine to see me and Skyler on the cover. 'Missing Teen, Mariah Morris, is found...with Skyler Gisondo."

I picked it up and threw it across the room. I hated myself for making my own mother turn against me over a boy. A boy. I'm not saying I regret meeting Skyler, but I wish my mom could realize that all we will ever be is friends. Best friends.

Author's Note:

Sorry this is such a short chapter! The next chapter will take place on a Monday and let's just say..stuff goes down, guys.

Next time on Marler -
"I wish it wasn't so hard..."

"If you ever hurt her again, I swear...I'll kill you.

"I...love...you..."

Xoxo,

Grace