The Offer | Chpt 1

Surprise! It's a KiriBaku x reader.

I didn't say anything so it could be a surprise :)

Happy Halloween!

Enjoy~

It was cold and you were waking up yet again in the middle of the night. You shivered, holding your arms against your body as you sat up. Something in the air felt really different at this particular moment, something murky that made the frigid air sweep the hairs on your arm up. The pads of your toes brushed the floor softly first, the balls of your feet hesitant to set down and make the floor creak. Pajamas fell with the gravity as you fully stood, skin prickling up on your stomach and crawling up to your neck--flowing to tickle at your upper arms.

Something was certainly different.

Clammy hands curled up into fists as you snuck to the door, the gentle clatter and chatter from the last call 2 floors down. Light filtered up from the first floor of your narrow house, your parents cleaning up the bar they owned down the 2 flights of stairs. You had assumed something nasty had been crawling around in the darkness, but that was just you. A solid cylinder slithered up your back and around your arm to run its head under your hand. Your familiar snake had made his presence known, having slipped from one of the several stitches in your skin.

"Not now," you murmured, watching the snake respect your command as he slithered back where he came from. Your parents were unusually proud of you for making your first choice of 'creepy crawly' a snake, though you kept a particularly close relationship with a butterfly you were keen on producing. From your father, you had received a nasty quirk much like the humans of the past had dreamt up. He was a stout man with a hefty voice, and he had a lack of control in the way he moved even though he got a lot of things done. He was harsh and lacked a sense of understanding. He, much like the boogie man, had been born with what people used to assume was impossible, only a thing of nightmares. He was just...full of as many disgusting critters you could imagine.

You were too.

Your mother was the opposite, very uptight and spindly. She had found your father quite appealing, her own personal abilities much like that of a spider. Growing up, you had hoped to turn out more like her--which was unfortunately not the case. Despite how mean she was and how little she seemed to care about you...you still felt the need to emulate her. She at least had a little bit of a chance at a more interesting and better life. Yet she still chose to be with your father and a child she didn't want, cleaning up in a bar every night. You thought, perhaps, if you had her ability, that you would be a little more appealing or could live out the life she had chosen to reject.

You could hear classes clinking below as the chatter regressed--more and more villains making their way out of here. You slunk down to the kitchen, leaning up against the counter. You just glanced over your shoulder, ignoring as a pair of lizards sloppily filled up a glass of water for you. The glass was set on the table and you grasped the lizards, placing them on your shoulder to find a place to slink back into your body.

"What a successful night! I always liked October, seems to drive in more business," your father stated, trompling into the main living space. Your mother followed with a dull look on her face.

"I suppose," she replied, her eyes flickering to look at you. "Darling, must you always be up so late?" she asked, strutting her way over to you.

"I was sleeping."

"Clearly," your mother replied, running a hand to smooth out the pieces of hair that were out of place.

"I don't sleep like a dead person, like you do," you jut, causing your mother to look at you with sharp eyes.