The Baked Goods | Chpt 9

Hiya

Enjoy~

(y/n)'s POV

The next morning, I was woken up by knocking at my door. It was extremely early, way before school, and the raps were hesitant almost quiet. They had still woken me up nonetheless and I pulled myself out of bed to answer it. I figured it might be Aizawa coming to retrieve me for another case interview before school. I opened it up to see Midoriya standing there holding something behind his back. He was wide awake and I peered at him groggily, afraid I might go blind from his grin.

"Good morning," he greeted.

"Uh...hi Midoriya."

"You really don't have to call me that, Deku is fine. It's my hero name and everything, even though Kacchan used to pick on me using that name," Deku ranted and I stood awkwardly in the doorway. He sure did talk a lot, I had noticed in passing and now had confirmed just talking to him now. Or rather he talked at me.

So he and Bakugo had gone to school together. It was interesting, as it was clear that Bakugo had a weird relationship with Deku. Deku had just confirmed that Bakugo used to pick on him in elementary and middle school--or at least they had been companions at some point. It was confusing. I looked to Deku as he rocked back and forth, from ball to heel and back again.

"Is...there something you needed?" I asked.

"Oh, well, uhm, so I was talking to my mom about how you had moved into our class and she wanted me to give you these," he stated, holding out the thing he had behind his back before. It was a plate of plastic wrapped baked goods.

"Your mom wanted to give these to me?" I asked. "Why?"

"Ehh, I told her you might not like it," Deku hummed, tugging at the back of his neck. "I happened to explain the whole program and she thought you might be feeling homesick or odd being in a new place."

I peered at the plate again.

"She likes to bake," he added, smiling awkwardly. I was baffled, trifling through the potential reasons why a mother of another child would do this for me. What kind of woman was Mrs. Midoriya to care so much about a person she did not know, especially one of my background. I gripped the edges of the plate, looking back at Midoriya.

"Please tell her thank you," I said. "I am eternally grateful."

"Oh, it's nothing," Deku shrugged.

"If there's anything I can do for her, or for you--"

"No, it was just a nice gesture," he insisted and I placed the edge of the plate against my stomach, filling it with a warm kind of joy. My mother had never done things like this for me. She was neither a cook nor a baker nor a warm person. Our dinners would be bar food most of the time, or I would make things for myself that I would buy at the grocery store.

"Thank you."

"It's no problem," he stated. "I'll see you later in class."

I gave him a small wave as he headed off. I placed the plate safely on my desk and got myself ready for school. Later that afternoon, I found myself in that same space where I had met Shinsou. It was a nice change of pace from my cruddy dorm room and the bustling common space for 1-A. The window was the best, though I did wish I had a space outside I could enjoy. I was actually sitting on the couch this time, taking tiny but brave steps towards settling in here. I was getting my math homework done for the evening.

"Oh hey," Kirishima greeted, spotting me there. He sat himself down next to me abruptly. "Doing the math?"

"Yeah..." I shrugged.