Chapter 9: Appreciation

. . .

I just wanna add a TW for a toxic household as I dont want to make any of my readers uncomfortable.

. . .

Suzuki POV

When I had reached home, in truth I did want M/n-San to come with me but I knew I cant. Opening the front door I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

"I'm home..." I said quietly.

I noticed the blue glowing light coming from the living room.

'Hes probably drinking again.' I thought. I also noticed the beer bottles scattered in the hallway. This was a normal sight so I paid no mind to it. I made my way to my room at the end of the corridor. It was small but it was good enough.

Opening the door, I observed it slightly before laying down on my 'bed' and looking up to the ceiling.

My room was a small square. There was no working light so at night I had to mostly rely on the light of the moon or the torch on my phone. I didnt have any candles as my dad prohibited them. He says they could start avoidable fires. It's true but it's just a way of avoiding any potential firemen or police having to come to the house and seeing the state it's in.

My 'bed' was a mattress on the floor I had a pillow and blanket to keep me warm which I was grateful for. I also had an old coffee table as my desk for homework and such. I had a few boxes which I used as storage for clothes or other things like art supplies or notebooks I had bought with money I had earnt from the cafe I work at. Normally letting a 14 year old work isnt allowed but the owner was nice enough to let me.

I wouldnt say I hated the situation I lived in, it could be worse, but having to look after yourself isnt the best, especially when you do still have a father that could be there for you. I'm happy with the things I have and so should everyone else. Appreciating the little things is what I think everyone should do because if you were to hate every little thing that was to happen like missing the bus or spilling your coffee you would have no way of enjoying anything.

My dad is a drunkard. It's a rare sight to see him sober. Even going to work he would sometimes be drunk, I dont know what he does for a living but I doubt it's anything with a professional environment. Afterall, going to a company setting with a hangover or while drunk isnt the best for selling things so I doubt it's anything like that. I wouldnt be surprised if it was anything illegal either.

My father isnt the best he could be but he isnt the worse. He gives me things to keep me warm at night and something to use for work, he could've shoved me in an empty room and said "there" and left it at that. I also have food he sometimes comes back with, but it's mostly just instant ramen so I usually go to the shop to buy groceries. When he goes to the shop he just buys beer not actual food. I know deep down he loves me, even if he doesnt show it. After mum died it took a toll on both if us, though I think it affected him more. He started to drink and smoke more often and it eventually became an addiction. He got fired from his job and we had to move out from the old house to this place. We couldnt afford much but its home.

I decided to stop thinking about that stuff as I started to remember mum again and last time that happend it ended in me crying myself to sleep.

I lifted my hand which held my phone to my face and looked at the new contact in my phone.

M/n
xxxx-xxxx