Chapter 10

I'm kinda messing with the timeline a lot here, so keep that in mind.

Sasuke watches Midoriya experience a small mental breakdown and wonders if maybe the teams were premeditated. He wouldn't put it passed All Might, what with the way he so clearly favours Midoriya over the other students. Why is that, he wonders? Ultimately it doesn't matter. He isn't going to tell All for One about this unless he explicitly asks. What Midoriya and All Might get up to in their free time isn't something for him to worry about, anyway.

They're led into a monitor room where they're to watch each fight happen from several different angles. The lengths this school reaches to try and simulate real life is astounding. Konoha would just throw them out into the deep end, which he supposes is somewhat similar to what All Might did, and wonder why all their genin either die or return emotionally scarred.

Sasuke watches and isn't all that surprised by what he sees. Bakugou is a prodigy, that much is glaringly obvious. He'd do well as a Shinobi, with his lack of care for his surroundings but excellent situational awareness nonetheless.

Midoriya on the other hand... well saying Sasuke was disappointed would imply he had any feelings about it one way or the other. Midoriya responds to the situation exactly how Sasuke would expect him to right up until he uses Bakugou's move against him.

He's reluctantly impressed, if the rest of the class had been given any background combat experience, even just a day of training, things might've turned out differently.

Sasuke side-eyes All Might. Now would be the time to call off the match if he didn't want his students to be injured.

Bakugou blasts Midoriya into the ceiling. All Might watches.

Maybe All Might is more like Kakashi than Sasuke thought.

~~~

Many of the other fights go similarly poorly, though nothing compares to the original general awfulness of the first fight.

Really, Sasuke had thought All Might liked Midoriya, but perhaps he was mistaken. Sasuke isn't really good on reading emotions like that.

It's now Sasuke and Kaminari's turn. They go up against Mineta and Yaoyorozu.

"Hey! Dude so like, what's your Quirk?" Kaminari asks.

"It's an illusionary based Quirk." Sasuke explains vaguely.

"Woah! Those are super rare." So are electricity Quirks. "So you can make someone do whatever?"

Sasuke grimaces at the crude explanation of his skillset, but it'll have to do for now. "It depends on how easy it is to manipulate them. In certain scenarios, I can make them live out years in just a few seconds."

And that's all he's going to say about his Quirk. Just enough to cement him as an opponent not to be trifled with, but not enough that there are any obvious weaknesses.

He decides to go with illusions over any other skill for a few reasons. The main reason is that it's what's on his official government registry. The less important reason is that it makes his other skills more explainable. If he needs to, which he doubts he will, use any of his other skills, he can essentially just manipulate the other person into believing what they saw was due to his Quirk.

Kaminari and Sasuke are on the villains team.

"Where should we set up?"

"The final floor?" Sasuke phrases it as a suggestion but it really isn't.

"Won't that be too obvious?"

"No." Sasuke says and there's a very awkward pause. "They don't know us well enough to guess where we'll put it."