Chapter 38

I'm just... gonna... y e a h

"Have a good night, Midoriya-kun!" Togata-senpai waves Izuku off with a smile.

They've finished changing out of their hero costumes and have set them aside to be cleaned, since most hero costumes have parts that can't be cleaned by regular means. Izuku briefly wonders if there are hero dry-cleaners, since there are quite a few pro-heros who aren't affiliated with any agencies and probably don't have special washing machines for their costumes. He shakes his head at the thought, the business wouldn't be lucrative enough to stay afloat. Non-agency affiliated heroes probably go through agencies for that sort of thing or do it themselves.

Pushing that useless line of thought aside, Izuku steps out of the elevator on the floor to his room and begins walking down the hall. It's a relatively short hallway since the Nighteye Agency doesn't have a lot of rooms for boarding.

The building itself is small, nowhere near the size of Endeavour's Agency, but that's to be expected since Endeavour is the #2 hero, despite All Might's very few public appearances.

Izuku sits at his desk, flipping through the notes he managed to get during the day. It's only day two and he's learned so much! The stakes, so far, have been pretty low and Togata-senpai has assured Izuku that there will always be someone available to answer the questions he has. It's much different from the internship with Gran Tornio, where they were technically just there to observe.

The first thing they did today was go over responsibilities. The first few days are preliminary days where Izuku will be taught how to fill out forms, correctly submit paperwork for a number of different things, write proper reports, that sort of thing. Then the rest of the work study will be practicing response time, learning how to spot a problem in need of intervention compared to a problem that will resolve itself, building a relationship with local authorities, and the thing that Izuku is the most excited about, real battle situations. He's already thought of a hundred different things to compensate for when comparing the battle simulations at Yuuei to a fight with an actual villain, he has notes on all of his colleagues (and isn't it so cool to think of them that way?) and how he can best adapt to their fighting style.

Izuku shuts off the light on his desk and begins going through his night-time routine, his thoughts running at a mile a minute.

This is it.

His first real chance at doing hero work. Legally, anyway.

The most important thing is a good night's rest. He doesn't want spend hours laying awake thinking and then be exhausted the next day.

But, he considers, as much fun as this is going to be, I need to take this seriously! I won't be in a controlled environment like the one I'm more familiar with at school.

He is better prepared than most students thanks to the League, but there are still many opportunities for him to be blindsided. He hasn't done any hero work in an real city setting, there are a lot more factors to be concerned about.

Lives other than his own are going to be his responsibility. People are trusting him to keep them safe.

"Okay, Izuku," he says to himself. "Now is not the time to psyche yourself out!"

He settles into bed and stares at the ceiling.

Tomorrow is going to be great.

~~~

Eri is tired of appointments. She's tired of the poking and prodding and touching. She's tired of the baby talk and the dancing around topics that might upset her. She's not a baby. She's been through much worse than bad news. She wishes she had the words to articulate how she's feeling. She wishes she could do anything other than give a number on a scale of 1-10 on how her day is going.