Chapter 28

I'm back!

Note: I won't be following the BNHA canon because I don't want to spoil it. The traitor was Sasuke, that's it.

August 12th comes, as it does every year, and just like every year, Sasuke takes the time to mourn the loss of his family.

He wakes early and searches through the cabinets for some incense. He's pretty sure they have some somewhere, it's not an uncommon thing to have.

"What are you looking for?" Yamada asks.

"Incense."

"In the drawer next to the fridge." Yamada replies. "What do you need it for?"

"I'll burn it outside." He says in lieu of an answer.

Yamada nods slowly before he gets out some ingredients and starts on breakfast. "Let me know if you need anything. I imagine you don't want to be disturbed so I'll leave you alone until lunch time."

"Thank you." Sasuke says honestly. He leaves the kitchen and makes his way out to the backyard.

He'd make a makeshift pyre if his Chakra was cooperating. As it stands, though, he'll have to settle for a rock and the incense.

He kneels in the dirt and sets up.

He inhales deeply and starts a prayer, carefully centering his thoughts around the good memories he has of his families instead of, well, everything else.

It takes around 3 hours for him to notice soreness in his knees, but Yamada has yet to get him for lunch so he doesn't move.

He drifts for a bit, his awareness scattered between memories and a vague watch he's keeping on his surroundings. He's out of it enough that he only notices Yamada's presence when the patio door clicks open.

"Lunch is ready." They say.

Sasuke nods and experimentally opens his mouth. He'd been clenching his jaw, he hadn't even realized. It's a bad habit of his.

He brushes off his knees and follows Yamada inside where Aizawa has just finished setting the table.

"We'll be leaving in about a week's time." He says. "Most of the students will have moved into the dorms by then."

The rest of lunch is filled with idle chatter that Sasuke tunes out.

"Are you going to return to the yard?" Yamada asks.

Sasuke nods again.

"Do you mind me asking what it's for?"

"What's what for?" Eri wonders.

"It's a memorial." Sasuke says, knowing if he gives them at least that much they'll leave him alone.

"Memorial?" Eri repeats.

"It's to remember someone who passed away." Yamada explains gently.

Eri frowns. "Oh."

Sasuke clears his plate and spends the rest of the evening kneeling in the garden.

~~~

It's a Sunday when Aizawa locks the door to the house for the last time in a while.

Sasuke stares on dispassionately as Eri, Yamada, and Aizawa say their goodbyes to the house. It's not like it's being sold, they're more than likely to see it again.

The car is packed full of luggage. Sasuke takes one look at it and decides he'll walk. Sasuke's claustrophobia isn't a problem in most situations. It's very specific, which is nice, because otherwise it'd be a pain to deal with.