Chapter 1

TW: SUICIDE

__________________________________________

Mojo Pin was playing through my earphones as I skated through the dark empty streets of Corrigan. The street lights lit the footpath in a stale hue of orange and the road shined with water from the rain that had sprinkled this afternoon. It was a little humid but the wind that I gathered skating managed to cool the sweat on my forehead.

My mother's wrath was something I escaped often, and with my dad working night-shift most nights, he wasn't there to save me. I had climbed out my window with only my earphones and the pack of cigarettes that Amari had stolen to keep me company.

I usually enjoyed being around people but tonight, I was glad to be alone. The shit that was brewing in my head was not something I wanted to share.

However, if I had of known what was going to happen tonight, I would have endured her screaming.

Corrigan was split by a river that extended across the state and the bridge that crossed over to Hawthorne was known by the locals to be a popular site for suicide, which was the exact reason why it caught my attention tonight.

At the end of my street, was the start of the bridge, which meant that at any time you could see any car, any passerby and especially anyone standing on the ledge.

My heart stuttered in my chest as my skateboard clattered to the ground. I stood on the path before the bridge started staring at Greed Fischer.

"Greed." I whispered.

Greed's eyes snapped to mine.

Greed wasn't my friend. I wasn't in the same circle as him, having resigned to a life of being lower class rather than upper class popularity. I didn't mind, life was simpler that way.

However, Greed was special. Greed was hauntingly beautiful. His violet eyes and curly white hair were subsequent of the albinism that ran throughout his mother's family. But Greed had a different aura, something had been haunting Greed since the day he was born.

Greed was tall and packed with muscles from years of gym and swimming but I had never seen him look so small, standing on the ledge.

"Greed, what are you doing?" I ran to the ledge and peered up at him, "get down."

"Puppy," He growled. I could see the thick, dark bags tainting his pale skin and my heart lurched in my chest. The shadow from his hoodie obscured the rest of his face, "go home."

Did he just call me puppy?

"What the fuck did you just call me – and no, I'm not going home," I hissed at him as I reached for his hand. I felt sick, "get down."

"This is something I have to do, Iniko." His violet eyes peered down at the river. "Go home."

I pulled myself up and looked over the ledge. My stomach plummeted as I watched the inky black waves violently roll over each other. No one would be able to out swim that.

"You want me to leave?!" I snapped at him, "how the fuck can I 'go home'?"

"Possum," Greed's violet eyes flashed dangerously as he leaned towards me. My stomach rolled with slight fear, "you don't care so go home."

"What do you mean I don't care?!" I scoffed and slightly shifted away from him because Greed was fucking scary, "if I didn't care I would be at home."

"You haven't cared before, Iniko."
Guilt was an emotion that came easiest to me and I guess the reason for that was it had been ingrained in my head since I was born that it was my fault. My fault my dad worked long hours. My fault my sister was half way across the country with a man that we had met once. My fault she was never coming back. My fault my mother was drunk more than she was sober. My fault that all the fine China was smashed because it was my fault that I made her mad enough to throw them. My fault that I wasn't enough to stop Greed Fischer from jumping. My stupid fucking fault for walking away.