Chapter 24

My knees sunk into the damp soil as Greed's hips settled against my thighs. The soft grass tickled my ankles as a cold, dead silence fell over the clearing.

The tears fell more freely, dripping down my jaw, staining the collar of my shirt with wet drops. Gradual Agony. Burning into my stomach, my throat, my heart, consumed in the fire.

"D-did you love me?" I pressed my hand to his chest, where the confident beat of his heart underneath my palm reminded me of what I had to lose.

Greed didn't answer and his violet eyes darkened the longer I stared into them.

"D-did you?" I faulted this time, worried that my deepest fear had come true. That even after all this time, I was just the only person Greed had, not the person he loved.

"I do." Came his deep voice.

The knife he pulled from the pocket of his jacket, glinted in his hands, catching the small light slipping from the crescent moon, and shimmering with nefarious darkness. I bit my lip tightly as more tears streamed down my cheeks, my heart burned achingly and my hands shook as I clutched his shirt in my hands.

"I'll bleed out..." He sharply inhaled as dark violet eyes never left mine, "I'll only have a few minutes, Iniko..."

"I can't..." I whispered brokenly, "I can't. I can't kill you, Greed..."

But I didn't have a choice.

He wrapped my fingers around the handle and it felt heavy. I couldn't breathe. My eyes dropped to my hands.

"Look at me, Baby Cobra..." He said quietly.

I frowned harshly as I fought back the increasing burn in the back of my throat. I wiped away my tears roughly, only for them to be replaced by more.

"Iniko..."

I lifted my head. I remembered the look he gave me on the bridge that night and the similarity was uncanny. Greed was ready to die and he had been since that night. My knuckles turned white around the knife's handle.

His hand wrapped around my fingers. I watched with bated breath, my fingers shaking underneath his calloused palm as he pressed the knife against his stomach.

My bottom lip quivered and I swallowed down the fear bubbling in my chest.

"G-Greed..." I whispered brokenly as his hand tightened around mine.

I watched, felt like I was watching from someone else's eyes, like this wasn't my body, like nothing bad could ever happen because Greed was invincible and Greed couldn't die. I watched, I felt, my hands, the knife was in my hands, I watched as it sunk into Greed's stomach. I watched as his teeth gritted and a sheen of sweat gathered on his forehead. As he grabbed my hand tighter, bone-breaking tight, the knife sunk deeper. I tried to pull away, the tears dripping from my eyes, never ending, the burn permanent in the back of my throat. Greed Fischer. Please.

The blood oozed from the stab wound as the knife slid from his stomach. I couldn't feel my hands as they dropped it on the wet grass underneath me.

"G-Greed..." My voice cracked.

Dark violet eyes stared up at me, "I-Iniko..."

There was so much blood. My hands shook uncontrollably as I pressed them against the wound, trying to stop the bleeding, but there was too much. I couldn't feel my fingers as they pressed down harder.

Every second that passed, my heart exploded in my chest, I watched as he grew even more paler, as his eyes grew lidded, as he stared up at me one last time.