Chapter 5

Mad Martha's house was avoided at all costs, specifically on Halloween, since two kids had knocked on her door with baskets full of lollies and hopeful eyes to never be seen again.

Since that day, the universally accepted rumour was that Martha's back yard was haunted with the spirits of those two children, whose deaths had been so brutal and violent that their spirits refused to rest.

Her front yard was littered with junk and overgrown grass that twisted into brown stalks. There also seemed to be this permanent dark cloud looming over the house that made everything seem colourless and lonely. Her windows were boarded up with thick nails and sloppily cut wood that made any passerby shrink in fear at the thought of what could be hidden behind those thick slabs of wood. Mad Martha's house was a haunted horror.

Greed unbuckled his seatbelt.

"Oh, fuck no! You freaky albino! I am not going anywhere near that house!" I shrieked.

"Stringbean," Greed's violet eyes darkened in warning, "you don't have a choice."

"I thought phantoms were supposed to be cool? What are you gonna do if I don't get out? Haunt me for the rest of my life. Well, news flash, you're already fucking doing that now – God dammit, Greed! Let go of me, you psychotic ghost!"

Greed yanked me out of the car by a harsh grip on my bicep and pulled me closer, violet eyes blazing with fury, "Iniko, listen to me –" I attempted to thrash myself out of his grip but he yanked me flush against him and grabbed my flailing arms, "no, listen to me..."

My wrists were pulled in between us and his violet eyes gazed down at me harshly. His body was warm and every muscle hidden underneath that grey hoodie pressed up against me. I felt like I was on fire.

"Jellybean...I'm right here." Greed whispered and his violet eyes softened, "don't be scared."

Greed was so hauntingly beautiful. Staring down at me, pale skin littered with bruises and cuts, whilst his violet eyes twinkled with softness. White hair fluttering in the wind, towering over me.

Angel Ghost.

"W-whatever." I scoffed, "I'm not scared."

Greed nodded but kept a tight grip on my wrist that I was strangely grateful for, after he reached into the car and grabbed the book.

Grass crunched underneath our feet and I felt a shiver run down my spine as the weather vane on top of the house groaned eerily. I heard a rustle underneath the house and stilled in fear before I was pulled along. Fuck this shit, I was going back to the fucking car!

Greed knocked on the door loudly.

"Do you even know what the fuck you're doing?" I hissed at him, "like, seriously man, although you've made it pretty clear that your life means nothing to you, I on the other hand have –

The door creaked open loudly and my heart thumped in my chest as a croaky voice rasped, "oh my...Greed Fischer...so soon...?"

"How do you know his name?" I piped up and stood behind Greed when Martha Lowe opened the door wider, not because I was scared or anything.

The first thing I noticed about Martha Lowe was that she was shorter than me by like two head, which was pretty damn short. Wrinkles took over the mass of her face and behind droopy, wrinkled eyelids were two beady eyes that made me feel like she could see my soul. She wet her chapped, wrinkled lips and eyed me with a look I didn't quite understand.

"Iniko Warren..." Martha cackled lightly, her smile was wicked and cold, "I know everybody's name."

Okay, officially need to leave.