Chapter 19

My head rested on the end of Amari's bed as I closed my eyes slowly. It was late at night and the sterile smell of the hospital blanket was making me feel strangely tired. The lights were dimmed and the room was cool. It was only Amari and I, because Jaz and his parents had gone out to get dinner.

"You alright, Mari?" I turned my head to stare at him. My chair was pulled up to his bed and I dropped my head back onto the mattress.

His eyes flashed with fear before he took a nervous breath, "I'll be alright."

"Hmm..." I murmured tiredly.

It was silent for a moment. The soft ticking of the fan lulling me to sleep as the curtains fluttered in the open window.

"Do you love Greed?" Amari asked and his face turned serious.

I blinked slowly, "what?"

Amari rolled his eyes, "do you love him, Ko?"

"Pfft no..." I laughed tiredly, "as if."

"Iniko." He raised an eyebrow.

"It's complicated..." I sighed dramatically, "because he...he's Greed."

Amari frowned in thought, "but do you love him?"

"I don't know..." I murmured truthfully, "I don't want to."

"Why not?" He tilted his head, before I closed my eyes. Guilt. Guilt. Guilt.

"Because..." I said quietly.

The door creaked open and I didn't bother turning my head, assuming it was Amari's parents or one of the hospital staff. Their footsteps were light when they walked further into the room.

I closed my eyes and leaned further into the bed.

"What are you doing here?" I heard Amari ask.

"I'm picking up, Iniko." A deep voice called from behind me.

God, that voice was so familiar. I opened my eyes blearily, but didn't possess the willpower to lift my head.

"What for?" Amari asked again, his voice slightly threatening.

"I need to talk to him." The deep voice said again.

"Greed..."

Greed. Greed? Greed????

My head snapped up and I turned to face the person standing behind me.

His violet eyes caught mine and the amount of comfort that I derived from his icy stare was concerning.

A leather jacket stretched over his bulging muscles with a tight, black shirt underneath and black cargo pants. His face was cold, like ice, and I swallowed uncomfortably as I stared up at him.

The strength of his glare had my insides fluttering. His frown deepened as he stared down at me and his white hair ruffled in the breeze from the window. Nefarious Angel.

His jaw clenched slightly and his hand wrapped around the back of my chair. His pale skin glittered in the cheap neon lighting as his cologne engulfed my nose. A picture of the devil.

"G-Greed...?" I stuttered nervously.

"I need to talk to you, Iniko..." He said deathly quiet. His nostrils flared slightly as I struggled to find any words.

"O-oh...okay..."

My heart roared in my ears. Butterflies jolted in my stomach as I met Greed's gaze again.