Chapter 6

Dylan James' party was at his father's second home in Blackton, which was only ten minutes out of Corrigan. Amari drove whilst Jaz sat in the passenger side and I resided in the back with my earphones in.

My father had had a hard time letting me go, which in no degree was his concern unwarranted, but he knew better than to lock me up. Plus, I think he was happy at the prospect of me socialising with other people, which, let's be real, was not going to happen.

Amari locked eyes with me through the rearview mirror before they flicked back to the road, "you got something going with Greed Fischer?"

I frowned, "what do you mean by something, Mari?"

Amari shrugged, "he was waiting for you at your locker."

It was my turn to shrug, "I bumped into him at the skate park. He picked up my earphones after I dropped them."

Amari rolled his eyes and said sarcastically, "because that explains why you skipped all of school yesterday."

"I wasn't feeling good, okay, loser? It had nothing to do with Greed."

"Then why was Greed also missing from school?" Amari raised his eyebrow and looked at me like he had me.

He did have me.

I sighed, "why did you become a detective all of sudden?"

Amari shrugged, "I'm just worried about you, Niko. Greed Fischer isn't someone you wanna get involved with."

"Why?" I demanded.

"Uh, are you blind to the bruises all over his face? Dudes got shit." Amari raised his eyebrows, "and I'd rather you not get involved in that."
"I'm not getting involved in that, I swear, Amari." I crossed my arms over my chest and rolled my eyes.

Amari glared at me through the rearview mirror, "whatever, loser, but make sure."

"Alright...." I nodded, "you sound like my dad."
Amari laughed, "did he chew you out for skipping school?"

"Maybe..." I shrugged, "he said he'd take my skateboard away."
Jaz laughed, "but you can't live without your skateboard."
"That's what I said!" I laughed too and a smile spread across my face, "anyways, it's time to party, bitches."

"Driver?" I asked Amari and he nodded.

We climbed out of the car and walked up to the house. Loud music vibrated through the ground and it felt like I could feel the vibrations in my stomach. Cans of beer littered the ground and I looked up at Amari with a wicked smile before racing him in to the house.

I was about twenty minutes into dancing with some girl who had long dark hair and cute brown eyes. I had lost Amari and Jaz, who were probably making out in an upstairs bathroom. She had her arms around my neck and was smiling prettily up at me whilst we jumped to the DJ music blasting through the speakers. Normally, I'd be ecstatic at the thought of kissing a girl but right now, when her lips were closing in on mine and even with the alcohol coursing through my blood, I felt like I was going to be sick.

Fucking Greed.

That's who was on my mind, whilst a beautiful girl was kissing me on the dance floor. Greed Fischer.

I'm straight. I'm straight. I'm fucking straight.

Her lips were soft and I had to bend slightly because I was quite tall despite being slim in structure. She tasted like alcohol but everything felt fuzzy and empty. I wasn't sure if it was the alcohol, but kissing her wasn't special. It felt wrong.