Chapter 13

That afternoon, I had stepped across the doorway – notably, that was my moment of salvation from the embarrassment that came from kissing Greed Fischer in the middle of the cafeteria. My cheeks were permanently coloured red and I hated Greed that little bit more for what had happened at lunch, when I saw my father leaning against the counter in casual clothes with his keys in one hand and his phone in the other. He looked up when I walked through the door and his green eyes were soft as they watched me pull my bag from my shoulder and drop it by the stairs.

"Hey, Dad..." I murmured sheepishly and scratched the back of my neck, "did you have work today?"

My father nodded, "do you want to get changed out of your uniform before we leave?"

I frowned at him as I racked my brain for where we could possibly be going, "w-where are we going?"

"To visit your mother." My father replied as he tucked his phone into his pocket.

"Dad..." I said warningly.

"Iniko..." He matched my tone and crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned against the counter, "I don't have time to argue with you."

"I'm not going." I said stiffly.

"You are," his soft, green eyes hardened, "otherwise you can say goodbye to your skateboard..."
"Dad!" I glared at him, "why do you have to keep doing stuff like this?"

"Iniko, she's your mother."

I was angry and I made that clear as I crossed my arms over my chest and slammed the car door closed behind me. My father sighed as he slipped into the driver's seat and pulled onto the road.

"Iniko..." He said after a few moments of silence, "she's your mother."
"So, I've been told." I said sarcastically.

"Is it not enough that she's trying to be better?" My father tried to reason.

"For you!" My voice raised, "for you! She doesn't want to be better for me! In fact, she doesn't give a shit about me, Dad."

My father sighed again, "your mother loves you."

I didn't reply.

The rest of the ride, I thought hard about Greed and Inia and everything. I wasn't sure what was happening anymore. I had been so sure. So sure, that I would be able to push him away. So sure, that I wouldn't let him in like that, but now, I kept forgetting that he was going to leave me. I kept forgetting that Greed was going to leave me behind and nothing I did was ever going to be enough to stop him. It hurt. It hurt because I was stupid. Because I was fucking attached to Greed Fischer and I shouldn't have been. I should have never let him kiss me the first time, let alone all the other times. I shouldn't have kissed him in the park, or at the party, in my room, in his car or in the cafeteria...so many times, I shouldn't have kissed him. But I did. I kissed Greed Fischer so many fucking times and now...now, every time I thought of him lying at the bottom of the fucking river... Stupid Greed Fischer. Stupid me! Stupid fucking everything!

I put my earphones in and listened to Tame Impala, whilst we drove through South Quarry.

Everything about this was stupid. I didn't want to see my mother and she didn't want to see me. That was the truth no matter how much my father tried to ignore it. Sure, she was always sorry when she wasn't drunk. But when wasn't she drunk?

"How was school, Niko?" My father asked gently as he flickered his soft, green eyes over to me.

"Fine..." I murmured lowly.

Dad nodded and sighed slightly as he pulled into the rehab center, "thank you for coming with me, Niko."

I rolled my eyes as I jumped out of the car, "like I had a choice."