Chapter Sixteen

C H A P T E R - S I X T E E N

───

—"FORGIVE THE INTRUSION. I MEAN
your family no harm" Elijah commented gently as he sat in Elena Gilbert's windowsill. Having just intercepted her from alerting Jeremy of his presence and relation with their aunt.

"Why did you kill those vampires when they tried to take me?" She asked. Skipping all pleasantries in order to get the answers she craved. Hoping he'd be more enjoyable to be around than his fellow original, Rosalina.

"Because I didn't want you to be taken. Klaus is the most feared and hated of the originals but those who fear him are desperate for his approval. If word gets out that the doppelganger exists there'll be a line of vampires eager to take you to him and I can't have that" He explained.

Elena raised a brow at his words, wondering why he'd try so hard to stop something. When she believed him to be doing the exact same thing. Her thoughts soon after flowing from her lips. Questioning him on why he wouldn't want that exact thing to happen.

"Let's just say that my goal, as well as my dear friend Rosalinas, is not to break the curse" Elijah comforted. Making sure to stop himself from saying sister. Replacing the label with friend without a moments hesitation. Hoping she wouldn't pick up on the tone he had used.

"So what exactly is your goal" Elena asked with her fists clenched. Trying her best to ignore the anger that coursed through her at the mention of the beautiful blonde. Hating the affect her presence seemed to have on her relationship with Stefan.

"Klaus's obsession has made him paranoid. He's a recluse. He trust only those in his immediately circle" Elijah commented halfheartedly. Taking a mental note at the way the Gilbert girl reacted at the mention of his sister. Not liking the way her fists clenched.

"Like you?" Elena pried. Letting her curiosity get the better of her, practically screaming at herself mentally at pushing the immortal man.

"Not anymore"

"You don't know where he is, do you? So you're trying to use me to lure him out" The doppelgänger connected. Brows furrowed and hands waving through the air to further show her mental process.

"Well to do that I'd need you to stay put and stop trying to  get yourself killed" Elijah waved off her observation. Thinking that if he was as nonchalant as possible, that she'd fall directly into the path he wanted her to take.

"How do I know that you're telling the truth?" She asked genuinely. Thinking back to all that Rosalina had hidden from herself and the others. Elijah was more than capable of that as well, wasn't he?