Chapter Forty Two

C H A P T E R - F O R T Y - T W O

───

—STEFAN WAS MAKING
elena breakfast at the Salvatore boarding house, using the meal to distract her from her clear discomfort about the Mikaelsons mother returning to the living. Something he found rather irritable considering it had been her plan in the first place.

Expression impassive as he placed a fresh plate of plain pancakes in front of the Gilbert. Avoiding the girls stare as he went to grab a bottle of syrup and a few utensils for her to use. Not wanting to put any more effort than necessary into the interaction.

"Thank you" she started, popping open the bottle before drizzling the contents atop of the stack of spongy cakes. Gaze moving to stare up at his stiff form every once in a while.

She fiddled with her fork, clearing her throat as she dug the end into the food. Pulling off a good chunk of the cake as she opened her lips to ask him a question that had been swirling around in her head for quite some time.

Only to pause as a knock rang clear throughout the house. Stefan letting out a sigh of relief at the welcomed interruption. Body practically flying through the lounge to get to the entrance and away from Elena.

He pulled open the door and furrowed his brows at the lack of a physical presence. Going to step out and check the perimeter for any threats only to stop at the crunch of an envelope under his toe.

Moving back to bend down and pick up the rather beautifully folded piece of parchment. Finger slipping in between the red wax seal and the paper to rip it open. Being careful to avoid ruining the contents.

Soon after, slipping out an eggshell white invitation to a ball. One held specifically by the Mikaelson family. He hummed gently to himself as he flipped the card over in his hands. A small smile rising on his lips as he read over the back.

'Save me a dance, Mr Salvatore?'
Rosalina Mikaelson

He thumped the card repeatedly against his finger tips as he thought over what exactly he should wear. Considering it was a formal event and he'd be expected to wear a suit.

"Who was it?" Elena questioned from behind him. Peaking over his shoulder at the card he was hitting against his skin. Brows furrowed in an almost accusing manner once she noticed the black cursive lettering. The penmanship was one she assumed belonged to a woman.

"I'm not sure" he lied smoothly. Turning to push past the Gilbert as he shut the front door. Elena scoffing as he went, watching with her arms crossed over her chest as he disappeared up the steps.

She knew that none of her female friends would write Stefan a letter and drop it on his doorstep. Therefore the options were extremely limited. The only two people she believed available being the insufferable Mikaelson sisters. Although she doubted Rebekah would go against Rosalina.

No matter how infuriated they managed to make her, she wasn't clueless. They were very clearly too close to go after anyone the other deemed attractive enough to date. Making it obvious that the letter once belonged to Rosalina Mikaelson.

Her heart sunk as she moved to rip her bag off the hook of one of their various hat stands. Stomping her way through the front door and out onto their porch. Wood flying backwards by the force of her palm. Pressure rattling the hinges and alerting Stefan that she had fled.

Meanwhile upstairs Damon had just gotten out of the shower. Pausing with his hand holding the white towel around his waist as his phone began to ring. Lips pushing upwards into a surprised yet excited smile at the sight of the contact name.

"Hello Rosie" He greeted with his usual Salvatore charm. Although the almost teasing tone didn't seem to match his overjoyed expression. Mood rising increasingly at the fact that they had reached the point where she would call without a pressing matter.

"Damon, Do you happen to be available tonight?" He hums in thought at the question. Finger tapping against his jawline as he prolonged his answer to tease his impatient friend. Chuckling once he heard the aggravated sigh he had been waiting for.

"Of course I'm available. Elena hasn't been trying to get herself killed, oddly enough, so my schedules all free" Rosalina nodded to herself on the other side of the call. Right hand pressed firmly atop of a marble counter as a nail technician worked to make her manicure gala ready.

"Well then I suggest you pull out one of your best suits and prep for the night of dancing that awaits you. I'm in need of a dashingly handsome escort and you just so happen to be on the top of my list" she confessed. Smiling happily at the tech, nodding when she lifted a bottle of blood red polish.

"No Stefan?" He asked solemnly. Disappointed to hear that the two were still estranged enough to avoid being one another's date. Especially since the two were such a hit when it came to parties. The blonde being the only one able to pull a dance from the broody man.

"I've made a move to hopefully ease tension and further our progression towards—stability. Yet I believe that one night apart shall give me time to see how he acts with Elena continuously attempting to make a move. My mother has a plan Damon, I can feel it. And I don't doubt that Elena will stay out of it"

Damon felt his chest tighten when the doppelgänger was mentioned in the same paragraph as a women that he had once believed to be a weapon against Niklaus. He had always harbored feelings for the Gilbert girl. Yet he refused to let her come in and change his relationship with Rosalina once more.

He wouldn't make the same mistake twice, and he hoped Stefan wouldn't either.

───

Word Count: 1020
( edited ✔️ )