Chapter Fifty Two

C H A P T E R - F I F T Y - T W O

C H A P T E R -  F I F T Y - T W O

───

ROSALINA STARED DEEPLY
into the hand held mirror Rebekah had lent her. Nose scrunched up as she attempted to get used to the milky white orbs that glared back at her.

Finding it rather strange that, besides the color shift, her vision was otherwise unaffected. Perfectly able to see just as she had before her mother had brutally sacrificed her.

The thought of esters betrayal stung deep within her chest. Heart aching as she truly considered how her loved ones must have reacted. Darkness having once stopped her from observing from the other side as they came upon her desiccated body.

"Have you made up your mind yet?" Niklaus questioned from the threshold of the room. Nerves poorly hidden behind his usual smirk. Wobbly tone of voice giving him away more than he'd care to admit.

She knew what he was referring to immediately. Hands falling limply into her comforter covered lap. Mirror bouncing slightly atop the mattress.

He wanted to know if she'd stay, with him and the others in their old home—their old kingdom—New Orleans.

"Nik..." she whispered, a gentle smile present on her face.

His smirk faded. Replaced with a frown of immense sadness. He'd never be able to hide such a look. Tears welling up in his eyes as he processed the information she'd given him without having to say much else.

"I have to go back. Stefan, Damon, Caroline. They're all going to be in Mystic Falls and until they're ready to travel, to move on. I'm going to be there too" she confessed.

Her heart ached, unable to stand the way her brothers heart broke more visibly than she believed to be possible. Stomach twisting uncomfortably.

"If only our lives were still as complicated as they once were. I'd dagger you and force you to stay" he offered, hand waving about to accentuate his threatening words.

"You and I both know that isn't true, besides. I'd say our lives are ever so complicated. I've only just woken from the dead you know—" she pulled at the skin beneath her eyes teasingly "—were the ghostly pale replacements not enough of a reminder?"

Shaking his head, he sped forwards to bring the blonde into a warm hug. Relishing in the feeling of her wrapping her own arms back around his torso. Head nuzzling into his chest happily.

"I'll visit, often" Rosalina started. Pulling apart their embrace to give him a pointed look. Finger lifting up to jab his chest as she launched into a length ramble.

"You will call me frequently, you'll tell me absolutely everything and so help me god if you keep any secrets from me I will get Hayley to tell me everything and speed down here to kick your sorry ass myself. Understand?" She finalized.

Niklaus threw his head back in a hearty laugh. Standing to his feet with a fond smile. He had never been so grateful to be lectured around by a sibling in his life. It was a small interaction, yet he had missed it more than anything.

"I understand" he confirmed. Ears perking up at the sound of approaching foot steps. Lips once again pulling upwards into his usual smirk. Head tipping down in a polite nod as he made his grand exit. Intentionally bumping into the new arrival as he went.

Stefan entered with a confused glance to the girl. Thumb jammed over his shoulder as a gesture towards the hybrid. Brows furrowed to ask about the encounter without truly having to ask.

"Just Nik being Nik" she explained with a shrug. Teeth showing as she smiled widely. Happiness seeping through her veins at the sight of the boy.

She'd missed him. She was entirely sure she could even put into words how much she had missed him. Opting to swipe the mirror off the bed, grateful it hadn't shattered, and wave him over.

Complying easily, Stefan shimmied his way into the bed beside her. Leaving barely any space between them whilst he got comfortable.

The two simply sitting within one another's presence for a minute or so before speaking. Rosalina allowing her head to drop on his shoulder as her lips parted.

"Zero clue how to explain this to the residents of Mystic Falls, I'm going to have to hide for ages aren't I?" She joked. Tongue poking out as he let out a soft chuckle.

"We could always tell them you were blinded in an accident" he replied, equally as playful. Knowing the excuse would simply draw more attention to the girl.

"Oh, fantastic. Double whammy that one is" she snorted. Smacking his chest with the back of her palm. Laughter continuing to bubble from her mouth.

"You thought she died? Oh, well, skiing trip gone awry. Blind now. Although don't be surprised if she makes a miraculous recovery. We know a guy"

A humorous silence followed her odd rant. The two sharing a quick glance before bursting into a fit of laughter. Each feeling particularly warm. Hearts fuller than they'd ever been.

They'd always loved one another. Even during their toughest battles. Including those of which involved a devilish doppelgänger.

Yet, sitting in a random bed—in a town they'd have long forgotten—recovering from an injury no one could've predicted. They felt as if the love they had cherished ages prior. Had never been stronger.

───

Word Count: 914
( edited ✔️ )