Chapter Forty Four

C H A P T E R -  F O R T Y -  F O U R

───

—STEFAN AND ROSALINA HAD
been interrupted for the second time that night by a tap against the door. Passing footsteps letting them know the person was in fact not stopping to enter. The two tuning in their hearing to listen as the person, whispered out a simple sarcastic update on a soon to be toast.

"Time for a family toast darling" Kols voice called as he continued past. No doubt wearing a smirk as he went, feeling smug about the awkwardness he had likely presented the duo.

"That cheeky bastard" she muttered. Cheeks reddening when she realized how likely it was that any and all supernatural creatures had heard their careless antics. Fingers hurriedly pulling up her dress straps before leaving Stefan to fix his appearance.

Hands fluffing her hair whilst the Salvatore rushed to pull up the zipper on the back of her dress. Happy that he hadn't ruined any of her garments in the spur of the moment. The two swiftly exiting without drawing too much attention from any guests.

Everyone had already gathered at the base of the steps. Rosalina deciding to stay at the bottom rather than shove her way to the top where her family stood. Moving to stand specifically in between Damon and Stefan Salvatore.

A waiter coming by to hand them each their own glass of rose colored champagne. The blue eyed man leaning down to whisper playfully in her ear as his hand reached back to fix one the zipper on her dress.

"Subtlety never was your thing rosie" he joked. Making her smile sheepishly behind the palm of her hand. Stefan blushing before hiding his head in the crook of her neck. Both of their cheeks red with embarrassment.

Damon smiling at their closeness with a sense of pride. He had missed the banter they all used to share when the two of them were a proper couple. He hoped that this moment meant they were one step closer to that stage for the second time.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Waiters are coming round with champagne, I invite you all to join me in raising a glass—" Esther stared at the crowd as each and everyone of her children left the steps to join the friends and take a glass. Rosalina smiling as Kol and Rebekah stepped besides her.

"—It provides me with no greater joy than to see my family back together as one" Rosalina frowned at the tone her mother used. It felt too rehearsed to be genuine, her eyes trailing over the crowd in search for Elijah only to find him besides Elena. "—I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers"

She hesitantly clinked glasses with her siblings and the Salvatore's. Locking gazes with the doppelgänger as she drank from the cup. Feeling her stomach twist uneasily as a look of guilt seemed to rise in her brown eyes.

"I'll be back" she uttered, handing her now half empty glass to Rebekah before shoving her way through the guests. Moving to stand in front of the Gilbert with no regard for her now curious older brother.

"What are you hiding?" She questioned. Standing only an inch or two away from the frightened woman. Watching closely as she avoided eye contact as she began to deny that she was hiding anything at all. A tale tell sign that she was in fact lying.

"Rosalina. A word" her mothers voice demanded from behind her. Causing herself and Elijah to tense as she turned to make bitter eye contact with the older woman. Nodding tensely to show that she would follow without a fight.

Her older brother watching with an expression of distaste. Eyes moving to lock with his other siblings, showing that they should all follow in pursuit. Each and everyone of them discarding their glasses before heading up the spiral stairs Rosalina and Esther had moments prior.

Rebekah and Elijah were leading the pack of Mikaelsons, Kol and Niklaus directly behind. The Salvatore's watching worriedly as they all fled without a word. Damon nearly having to restrain Stefan from going after them to see if Rosalina was alright.

The older brother instead directing him to wear the doppelgänger stood. Asking her to explain what had been said before they all exited. Only for her to cross her arms and demand to be taken home.

Damon only agreeing to take her if she fessed up about the current situation with Esther. Stefan becoming lost half way through the conversation since he had been too busy with Rosalina for Elena to explain that her presence had been requested earlier that night.

Whilst the two prodded Elena for more information, Esther had led Rosalina to the office she previously invited said doppelgänger to. The blonde sending Finn a saddened look as he opened the door for them before shutting it to block anyone from entering.

Leaving her and their dreaded mother alone in the sage protected space. Esther didn't speak once they entered. Instead moving to nonchalantly begin cleaning up the spell she had casted to link them all.

Rosalinas expression falling as she connected the dots. Stepping forwards to rip the sheet from her mothers hand and peer down at the blood red tree of life, each branch one of her siblings names. The top being her own.

"I knew we couldn't trust you, you're just as bad as father" she spat. Ripping the paper to shreds as she spoke. Knowing that the tear would not break the spell, yet the removal of the horrendous page made her heart feel slightly healed.

Esther watched as her youngest spoke. The pieces of parchment fluttering to the ground one by one. A sick smile slowly raising on her lips as she raised her hand. Gently moving it through the air with ease, causing Rosalina to immediately shut her lips and collapse to the ground.

"That's enough of that"

───

Word count: 1010
( edited ✔️ )