Chapter 9: Gearing Up

[Stormriven] (Magic Weapon)

Job Requirement: Swordsman.

System: Do you wish to bind the equipment?

The notification flashed in front of (Y/N), his hand still gripping the ornate swords' grip.

However, he knew better than to rush into a choice.

Magic Weapons were both a blessing and a curse.

Magic Weapons were "rankless" weapons, simply due to the fact that they could grow with proper investments. Even the most basic Magic Weapon could grow to at least Epic Rank, with some of the higher ends capable of growing to even Legendary Rank. They were, however, far rarer than even genuine Legendary Weapons. They provided immense powers, but they also brought an immense curse.

This curse was known as Backlash.

It was mostly unknown by anyone except those who owned a Magic Weapon how Backlash worked exactly, as most Magic Weapon wielders quietly kept the experience to themselves, but a single thing could not be hidden. If one failed to deal with Backlash appropriately, their account would be crippled. That fact, even after 10 years, had remained true.

Magic Weapons brought immense power, and they brought ruin just as easily.

System: Do you wish to bind the equipment?

"Should I?" (Y/N) pondered over the choice. Although he hadn't heard of Stormriven in his past life, it was still a bonafide Magic Weapon. Moreover, it was a Magic Weapon earned after a 300% boost to the Drops from a mysterious Crown Lord. If someone tried to tell him it wasn't an extraordinary weapon, he would tell them to get lost.

But the stronger Stormriven was, the more deadly its Backlash would be.

He'd heard of and seen countless Magic Weapons in the past. Some famous examples were common names in the eyes of the people.

Crimson War God, a Berserker, had once come into contact with a bloody Magic Weapon, the Crimson Ghost Ax, and with it, he alone had cut down over 30,000 Players in a Guild War involving over 100,000 Players. That meant that he alone cut down around a third of the total number of Players.

There was also the Elementalist Righteous Cloud, who was once chased down by a First-rate Guild with a Total Extermination Order. However, in his retreat, Righteous Cloud had eventually found the Magic Weapon World Extinguisher, a Halberd which he had used to quite literally slaughter the forces of the First-rate Guild. Eventually, after suffering grievous losses, Righteous Cloud forced the First-rate Guild to concede. However, he wasn't satisfied with that - using World Extinguisher, he chased down the First-rate Guild, eventually succeeding in crippling it. His strength became known across several Empires after the incident.

Then there was the Ranger titled "Madman", Windchaser. Using the Magic Weapon, Evil Spirit's Roar, a dark-attributed Bow, he had single-handedly managed to defend a City by himself. Despite being approached by thousands of enemy Players, not a single one could get within 100 yards of the city. Without exception, any who got closer than 150 yards were shot down by Windchaser, but his most shocking exploit was sniping the Guild Leader, Outstandingly Extraordinary, of the attacking Guild, Imposing Expert, with a single arrow. Ultimately, he had forced Imposing Expert to give up on the City altogether by himself.

There were countless tales of heroic exploits from Magic Weapon wielders, but just as many fell to ruin.

There was once an Assassin named Justification, and he wielded the Magic Weapon Abyss Call, a dagger that specialized in PvP. On the battlefield, he had been an absolute menace. His most famous feat had been nearly assassinating the Guild Leader of the Super Guild Omniscient Throne, Six Thrones, though he had failed to do so in the end. However, this was not due to him being incapable of doing so - it was merely a case of bad luck. Just when he was going to do it, a strange occurrence happened - Backlash had struck at the very time. Naturally, he failed to cope with the sudden change - and his account was harshly crippled.