Chapter 14

Thomas's Pov:
"Rikki...Rikki you hear me?" I tried to talk to her but I didn't know if she even heard me. She was staring at the ground, with pure terror formed in her eyes and her whole body was shaking. What the hell had happened to her?! She was transforming into a mermaid or a demon was trying to take control of her soul? What? She finally focused on me. "Hey, hey, it's okay. Just take deep breaths. Calm down. What happened?".

In a few seconds, I saw Newt by her side. Come on! He always has her by his side. All day long. He's starting to piss me of. Alright, he's one of the guys I like most around here. The one I like most around here. Ofcourse Chuck too. But, he's always around her all the time. I think we all know that he likes her but... slim it boy. "What's going on here? What did you do to her suckface?!". Yeah...that wasn't definitely Newt. "Newt, slim it. I just found her ready to collapse", "It's okay" I heard then her whispering. "What did you say love?" then Newt. She closed her eyes and bit her lip. She looked like she was in pain. A really painful pain. "It's okay" she said louder this time. "What? What is okay?" I asked. I didn't understand a thing. I was really worried about her and I didn't know why. "Guys, please" she looked both of us. "Can you trust me?". We both looked at each other. "I-I know... I don't show the best of my character and I... don't really trust ANYONE... but please, can I trust you, to trust me?". I'm kind of confused now. She rolled her eyes. "Can you trust me?", "Ofcourse we can love, but-", "Then don't say anything. Just... I'm okay. Trust me... I-I'm...fine". We looked again at each other confused. Then I heard her again. "Can..." she stopped. She took a deep breath. She looked us carefully deep in our eyes. "Can I trust you?". We didn't answer at first. I don't know, I just couldn't think. My mind was empty. "You can trust me Rikki. You can trust both of us" I said finally. Ofcourse she could. "Then answer me to one question". Newt took her hand. "Everything love". It was time, we could speak at each other, I knew it. It's just one question. "What's a runner?".

Newt's Pov:
That felt like a knife cutting my throat. I tried to speak, but nothing came out. How...how she could possibly knew about that? I did everything to keep it a secret. And now... Oh God! What am I supposed to tell her? My heart was beating so fast like a drum. I couldn't even listen my own bugging thoughts. She was looking at me. She wanted to listen it from me. I couldn't even look her in the eye. "Newt come on. You can't just avoid it for ever" I heard Thomas. He really didn't help. I gave him a gaze to shut up. Although I think he didn't get the point. "You can't lie. It's...it's your chance to make her trust you". Tommy had a point. It was my only chance. I'll find a way to keep her safe. "How...do you know?" that was the only thing I cos think about. "Since I came here...everytime I asked or talked about the Maze, you just changed subject. I barely learnt the basic information about it. Also, you cut Thomas when he tried to say the word Runner. Then I saw that Asian guy, entering the Maze before we come here. So I understood that this morning Thomas was trying to say that Minho is the keeper of the Runners. So, that means, Minho is not the only one. I saw him with another guy entering the Maze. Then I guessed that...it is one of the jobs...and you never explained me the jobs. You wanted me here right? I want to learn more Newt. This morning when you interrupted Thomas, the word Runner popped on my mind. I know it sounds wiers but I do not remember hearing that word anywhere. I just knew that it's something...something I must know about. So Newt, please tell me...what's a Runner?" she explained. Her voice now sounded different. It was kinder and more sweet. I could never forget it. How could I possibly tell her anything? I took a deep breath, while I rushed my fingers through my hair. I looked in her dark eyes and I told her everything. But...I couldn't let it go like that. "Rikki, there's no way you go inside that bugging thing". She looked at me surprised. "No Newt, you don't understand, I have to". I forced myself not to listen to any of her words. I just... I couldn't let her. No way I could do that bloody thing. "Rikki! You're not going in there. End of the bloody story" then I got up and left. I just... I couldn't. "But Newt..." that was the last I heard from her.