Chapter 21

⁻ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ˢᵏⁱᵖ: ˡᵃᵗᵉ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃᶠᵗᵉʳⁿᵒᵒⁿ⁻

All the boys had gathered infront of the doors. The keepers were keeping some kind of very long sticks. All the others had smaller, sharper ones. I had seen them taking them out of the homestead.

No! I wasn't...spying on them or something... What? I'm a mermaid! I like to observe land boys... it's...natural! Whatever... I didn't even go anywhere near them.

I was watching from a distance...sitting alone on some kind of bench. I could see Minho literally dragging Ben in the middle of the the circle of boys. He had finally woken up... I lost Minho and Ben from my sight...as they got shwallowed by the boys' circle. Only Thomas and Chuck were watching from outside of the circle.

Then it all started. A loud crack, the ecoing sound of stone dragging against stone. The doors started closing. Alby sout something -I couldn't hear what- and then the boys lowered their sticks and pointed them towards the centre. I noticed Chuck turn his his back and leave, coming my way...it wasn't really appropriate I guess...only Thomas looked like his mind had flooded with curiosity. He was walking around, trying to see what was happening. Chuck had made his way towards me. Only a few meters away his gaze met with mine. He freezed for a moment. Then without saying anything, he came and sat beside me.

Suddenly, screams erupted in the Glade, flooding the air, tearing apart the silence. Ben...screamed... He made us both jump. I shivered. I hugged Chuck. "I'm really sorry little smalt". He didn't say anything. He just hugged me back. I felt so weird. Chuck was just a little boy...he didn't deserve any of all these. I closed my eyes. I was waiting for it to finish. I still couldn't stop blaming myself.

After a few moments the doors closed shut, swallowing the screams...and Ben I guess. The boys after leaving their sticks attached ti the doors, they made their was back... except from Thomas. He just stayed there staring at those bloody, huge, stone doors. With the corner of my eye, I caught Teresa. She was closing behind her the door of her hut. She was watching from there all that time.

The night had almost come and everyone just went straight to bed. So did I. I reasured first Chuck was alright and then I walked forward at the river. The water was so peaceful. I could finally sleep under the water. Like the old days. I could finally get some real, peacful sleep.

                 ⁻ᵗⁱᵐᵉ ˢᵏⁱᵖ: ⁿᵉˣᵗ ᵐᵒʳⁿⁱⁿᵍ⁻

I woke up feeling much better. In the first minute or so all the memories flooded my mind. I felt really bad for everyone...

I swam all the way up to the surface and got my head out of the water. The sun had came out...a few hours ago? Ah... I overslept? PERFECT!

Suddenly I heard movement. I twisted. All of a sudden Thomas appeared behind some bushes. I rapidly dived again and swam to the bottom of the river attached to the soil walls trying to hide that bloody tail. I waited for several minutes and then I carefully got got half of my head out of the water and took a quick look. Not a single soul. I waited a little more and then when I reasured no one was near by, I got out of the water and drained my tail. Legs back. I stood up and followed the opposite direction from where Thomas had come. After a while I heard footsteps. I followed the sound. I looked around. No one. I could only hear the sounds of the floating river, sounds of animals and the boys yelling far away. I walked a little further. I noticed something that looked like a wooden structure. I walked that way, just to see a figure staring at a hut, which I saw for the first time. The truth is, I'd never come to this part of the woods... I always stay near the river, exploring the area near by. It was a small woden hut. "What is that?". The boy turned around. "Rikki?", Thomas asked in surprise. "Where had you been?". I walked towards him. "Your hut?" I raised an eyebrow. "What? No. I sleep with the others. Hey, I've been looking for you everywhere-", "What's inside?" I cut him. He looked at me frustrated. "I don't know" he gazed at the hut. He was about to say something again...so... "So, let's find out" I pointed at the door. He gave me another weird look and went for the door. Before he could open it, a voice came from behind, making is both jump in surprise, "I wouldn't recommend that. You're not allowed in there". Newt was standing a few meters away. Yeah... ofcourse we weren't!!!!

Thomas' Pov:
Newt was staring at both of us. My head was buzzing from all the questionnaires. How did Rikki find me? Where had she been? Why couldn't I find her? And what the hell was that hut? Why weren't we allowed in there? "Why? What's in there?" I asked. Instead of answering he gave me an odd glance. "So you found her" he took some steps forward. "Where the hell have you been Rikki? We thought you run into the Maze". Why did he ignore me?! "Well...it was one of my options, but I thought it would be a shame to leave you guys here...die...all alone...", she said sarcastically. "So where had you been?" I finally got her attention. She didn't answer at first. "Didn't you check my hut?" she looked at both of us. Oh...shit! Newt and I exchanged a questioning glance. "I thought... I told you... YOU were supposed to do that!" he almost yelled at me. What?! "She's your freaking girl man! I thought you had the guts to go and look after her and apologie at least" I said in frustration. Soon enough I realised what I had say. He was looking me in sock and surprise. Rikki's eyes were popped out and an ironic little smile appeared on her face. "Newt, I'm sorry. I'm just tired and sore. I didn't really mean that", I really meant that. "Sounds like you did" Rikki chimed in, making things even more complicated. "Please Newt, I'm really sorry". He was staring at me, still in sock. "It's okay, point taken" he said and looked down. "You're both bloody idiots" she shook her head. "And I'm supposed to count on you to get to find a way out of the maze. Yep! I'm officially screwed up!", she continued with her ironic grin. Well...she has a point... "Oh! And don't forget! He asked you something. You still haven't answer", "And I'm not going to" his answer. What the hell? Why are they doing this? "I don't get it. Why would you expect people to trust you and abide by the rules, when all you do is hiding things?". I tried to calm myself. That was the truth. Yes...we coexisted but not in a healthy way. I shook my head and walked away. I wouldn't get an answer anyway.

Newt's Pov:
Thomas left. I...he has to understand some things. He can't know everything. Rikki was staring at the ground. Oh shit! I'm screwed up! She gazed at me and her piercing glare stopped in my eyes. I took a deep breath and walked up to her. I took her hands in mine. Before I could say anything though, she pulled them away and walked away. Perfect! "Rikki wait!" I grabbed her arm and twisted her. "Could you hold on a second?", "I'm in a hurry" she answered in frustration. "What's with the attitude?". She gave me a hurse glare. I was dead... "I don't want to talk about it" she was about to leave but I stopped her. "Come on Rikki", "NO NEWT!" she yelled at me. I freezed. She walked fast away, but I followed her. Why was she bloody acting like that?! "We need to talk about this", "No we don't!" she yelled again. That girl was stubborn. I run and blocked her way. "Just leave it alone Newt!", "If you want that, then you have to go through me first" I grabbed her arm. She had to listen. "The only way is to use your powers. So go on!" I looked deep in her eyes. "Go ahead Rikki!" she didn't move. I knew it. "I know that your powers are unstable. You are afraid to use them. So how do you expect me to let you go into the Maze?!". She didn't say anything. She was staring in my eyes. What was she thinking about? Suddenly I started hearing rustling of leaves moving. My gut was telling me that something was about to happen. Something was wrong. I looked at her hands. She didn't use them. "Rikki?", I called her name. I looked at her eyes. "Rikki can you hear me?". She was staring blankily at me. Like her soul had left her body. Then the whistling of the wind followed. Her hair waving. I could feel that chill feeling of the wind, which was becoming stronger and stronger. "Love please talk to me!" I tried to bring her back. Then it stopped. Just like that. Rikki finally came back to reality. She looked with horror in her eyes around and took some steps back. The wind started blowing again, but more powerful this time. It was coming from her. "Love..." I tried to calm her down. "No..." I could barely hear her. She looked at me. Pain in her eyes. I couldn't react. I was the reason she was in this situation. I'd only make things worse. I already had... But then... Out of blue I found her running in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck and burried her face in my shoulder. I could feel her breath shaking. For a moment I didn't move. What...? Then I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her tight against my body. All of a sudden the wind stoped. Completely... Everything now was in a dead silence.