Chapter 11 | Fever

I feel like kids our age are a lot more stupid than I had expect.

-

For a whole week, Momo stayed at home. It turns out, her fever was a bit more severe than we initially thought. Good thing she was nursed back early, otherwise, it might've been more of a disaster.

Honestly, it should've been fine when she comes back to school.

She's dressed warmly, her complexion is much better than before.

It still puzzles me how people are no longer wearing the long sleeved uniform, in my opinion, it's still pretty darn cold.

But putting myself aside, I'm really dumbfounded how kids already start to gossip at this age.

And who is their target of choice?

Of course, the one and only, Suzuki Momo.

What's their gossip of choice? And accusations? With evidence?

"She didn't come to school for a week!" A girl in our class said, "Momo has a chronic disease, we can't be around her!"

"..."

Their accusation is honestly quite stupid, and not solid at the least.

But of course, some thought it was true and either avoided her or don't bother. I can positively say that it is a 50/50 situation but some just want a reason to isolate Momo.

It's pretty obvious, and I think they forgot that I'm literally Momo's ally.

"Honestly, chronic or not, I just don't like Momo."

A girl gasped dramatically, "Right! She's so full of herself!"

...I'm quite amazed.

I wonder if these girls know that I'm literally beside them. Maybe my presence is too lowly for them to acknowledge.

I looked down and went to the toilet stall, quietly listening to whatever things that eight-year-olds think is interesting.

It's not like I'm not an eight-year-old myself but I assume you can guess that my mind works a bit more differently  from others.

For now, I won't try to change their minds.

I need a bigger picture to be able to do that. And for that to happen, I'll be needing a bigger person, someone with influence.

I hope I don't have to do it though, it's such a pain to save a damsel in distress.

-

Momo is quite depressed that her classmates isolated her. Though it was true that she barely has any friends, it still somehow affected her. 

I stayed by her side, as always.

She did cling on to me since this whole 'lonely in a crowded room' thing is starting to make her feel anxious. I did feel that she became more conscious of herself after the rumours spread.

That's quite impressive, I didn't know kids have that type of spreading power.

Imagine back in the olden days, I wonder how they do stuff like this. Eh, maybe they use newspaper and such.

Then again, do the kids really have nothing to do?

Maybe if they could use that on their grades, it could've been much better than a simple and petty chit chat about someone who didn't come to school for a week.

Anyways, the blonde girl came back. With her entourage and apparently more sass.

What was her name again? Aya? I can't remember her surname though, what a shame.