Chapter 29 | Denial

The final school bell rang, its shrill tone echoing through the crowded hallways, signaling the end of this hell- I mean, school hours.

I find myself packing my books faster than usual, my heartbeat pounding fast as if I just ran a marathon.

"Why the rush?" Class rep questioned, "It's freaking me out... are you finally going to burn the school down?"

I glanced at him in annoyance, "What do you take me as? I'm not crazy enough to actually do that."

"Well if it's you, it could certainly happen."

I glared at him as he shrugged, a smirk on his face as he stood up from his seat, which was Momo's, but he decided to 'accompany' me during her absence.

"Close your stupid mouth," I scrunched my nose in disgust seeing him yawning like he was about to inhale the entire class. "Dumbass."

"Give me more creative insults will ya?"

"I will invert your ribcage."

Class rep shivered in fear, "Now that's just terrifying..."

"You asked for it, don't complain now." 

I flung my backpack to my shoulder, to which I may or may not have unintentionally hit Class rep with. He hissed and glowered at me, and I know he was about to whine at me again but I quickly head towards the door and exited the classroom.

My steps echoed down the crowded hallways, dodging backpacks and acquaintances who I'd usually do small talks with.

"Hey, Yasu-"

"Sorry! Not today!" I quickly cut them off, feeling a tinge of guilt but I'd make up to that later.

"Not even takoyaki?-"

When I heard that, I halted but gritted my teeth and shook my head, internally crying because I know I will regret not taking my chances eating it.

This better be worth it.

I didn't bother checking my locker and went straight outside, seeing a glimpse of the baseball club members doing their daily runs, the many couples outside of the school's premises and neatly arranged bicycles around the corner.

I clicked my tongue, wishing I had a bicycle, then I could've pretended to be some kind of protagonist.

Unfortunately, my fate is that I am the side character.

Not that I mind.

I quickened my pace down the familiar streets, the schoolbag slung on my shoulders occasionally slipping as I held onto it firmly—

I leaped over a fence near the convenience store and loudly greeted the couple who runs it, "Good evening!"

They had a small smile as the wife looked at me worriedly, "Pay attention to the road!"

"Will do," I laughed and gave them a thumbs up, "Thanks!"

"Come when you're less busy," The man exclaimed, "There's discounts for the mochi, tell your brother that!"

"Will do!"

I quickly continued to sprint until I saw the familiar street and rounded at the corner, catching my breath and didn't bother running and instead just walked.

Seeing how much closer I was to my house, I quickly fastened my pace and hastily took out my keys and went inside.

"I'm home!"

I said it without expecting a reply, but someone was home.

"Welcome back." Father peeked from the kitchen, "You're home early."