Chapter 18 | Defensive

What was on my mind was simply the clock ticking, anxiously waiting for Momo to come.

Then, it suddenly clicked.

An accidental meeting between the heroine and the male lead.

I covered my mouth in realization and mumbled underneath my breath.

"Right," I internally punched myself in my head, "She's a heroine, more so in a shoujo manga."

I'm so stupid.

But doesn't the encounter happens on the first day of school..?

A twist perhaps?

I don't even know anymore.

"Suzuki Momo?" The teacher's voice immediately made me snap out of my trance of thoughts.

I froze—cringing, wishing that what I'm thinking would not happen.

Momo, if you're going to make a dramatic entrance right after this, I will—

The door swung open and the sound effects added a very unnecessary vibration to make it more impactful, supposedly.

Momo, with her hair slightly messy and sweat dripping from her forehead came with all her heroine glory. She tried catching her breath before proceeding to bow, almost kissing the ground and making me worried that her neck is going to snap if she's going any lower.

"Sorry for being late!"

Oh my goodness.

I closed my eyes and pretended like I'm blind.

With an eerie-sounding mumble, I chanted a repeating set of words that roughly translates to 'I do not see'.

The teacher simply looked at Momo with stern eyes, "You are?"

"S-Suzuki Momo!" She tripped over her words and blushed crimson red.

The teacher stared at her before nodding, "Go back to your seat, don't be late next time."

"Ah, t-thank you!"

Momo went to the seat beside me right away, her head lowered. Once she settled down, I poked her cheek and asked her, lowering my speaking volume.

"What happened?"

It's another simple question—but of course she can't answer it like a normal person.

"I uh," Her eyes shook, stuttering. "I j-just forgot about the t-time."

I scrutinize her, the word 'doubt' written all over my face. 

She lifted her gaze only to meet an unconvinced look plastered all over staring back at her, which left her flustered as to what else she can use as an excuse.

"Forget it," I didn't bother her. If I press more, she might become a pushover, "You have to wake up earlier, I'll come to your house starting tomorrow."

"No!"

She suddenly exclaimed, catching the attention of practically everyone.

My eyes widened in surprised by her sudden defensive stance.

Her forehead was scrunched up, not fitting her usual expression. I gaped at her, making her realize that the classroom is silent now.

She blushed again, "I'm sorry!"

Wow.

What an awkward way to start a day.

-

"What was that?"