Chapter 24 | Not This Again

"I see that the whole gang is here," 

His voice, which I didn't hear for years, sounded deep and husky—yet soothing.

"You really didn't need to bring them here though."

A laugh masked by a pretty voice to conceal his mocking tone.

Years gone by yet this guy is still a jerk, hm?

"Hey, that wasn't nice."

Momo lightly scolded him, which was very unlike her to be like this. She had always played the passive role back in childhood but she's voicing her discomforts now.

I wonder if I had contributed to that part of her personality.

"Ah... well." 

I couldn't see him as my back was facing him but I could hear him shrugging.

"...well? Are you not going to say anything to Yasu and Watanabe-san?"

"Oh right," He giggled annoyingly, "How are you, Yasu?"

I refuse to meet his eyes despite his efforts to do so, but as the great person that I am, I gave him the honour to hear my reply.

"I really think the floor is interesting right now."

"Really?" 

I hate to admit but his voice is really nice. Deep but not too much, it sounds genuine and light. Just enough to make me feel relaxed but I know I can't let my guard down around him.

While I was wrecking my brain on what word to describe his voice, I didn't notice him sneakily sitting beside me on the floor.

"May I see what's so entertaining about the floor?" His voice startled me since I could feel his breath near my ear, "To the point you don't want to look at my face?"

I instinctively looked at my side and saw a dazzling view.

His light brown hair was messy yet neat, flawless skin, a beauty mark below his left eye, and a small smile painted on his perfect face.

His hazel coloured eyes curled to crescents were glinting in slight mischief, a playful look befitting of a young teenager planning for rebellion.

I hope my jaw wasn't on the ground, I got too carried away staring on this museum worthy art piece.

I snapped out of my trance, coming out with a plausible excuse but I found him staring at me a bit too long for my liking.

I squirmed in discomfort as he continues looking at me.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"You're really Yasu?" He sounded genuinely shocked which irked me, "The same girl that thought glue and milk were the same and almost killed yourself in kindergarten?"

A few moments of silence floated in the awkward air.

"Listen buddy, you did not have to remind me about my past-"

I internally cried at our weird reunion conversation.

"You're still the same girl that burned the principal's wig because he took your comic away?"

"There's no harm in bringing comics and the wig didn't look good anyways-"

He held my hand and I find myself trying to justify my past actions instead of shaking him off.

"And the same girl that cried after eating watermelon seeds because you really thought it would grow in your stomach?-"

"Yes! I was that damn girl so please shut your mouth!"