Chasing Stars (10)

Chapter 10

"My daughter, towards the crown prince? S-since when—"

"Oh it was not long ago when we first met."

"I-I don't know what to say. What on earth just happened when I was away for six months?"

My father took a sip of his coffee for him to calm down.

"I don't know if I should be glad that it's not just anyone or should I feel resentment that the crown prince is going to take my daughter away from me."

I laughed at that thought. Father is someone who really loves me. He was more soft than possessive and a very kind hearted man.

But father, isn't Rachelle your daughter too?

I couldn't say it. Because ever since then, I've always wished that my father never adopted Rachelle in the first place.

"Father, no one other than you knows about engagement. You're the first person to ever know."

Lies. Your actually the second father. It was the Duke who've known it first.

"So it's not official yet? When are you planning to get acknowledged by the emperor?"

"I talked to the prince not long ago. And we both plan to tell him on his birthday."

Father stayed silent and did not say a word. Was he still over reacting? He just kept sipping his never ending cup of coffee and just then, he asked a question.

"Cecil, do you love him? I mean, the crown prince?"

I nodded in response.

"Of course. I won't be ready onto marrying someone I do not love. Thus, the prince also loves me dearly father. He's a good man."

I said. He just looked at me and stayed silent again. Does he perhaps oppose of this marriage as well?

"Father please answer me truthfully. Are you happy for me?"

"Of course yes! Why wouldn't I? I just came to realize that my once tiny baby girl grew up to be a wonderful woman and is now getting married."

Oh father. You're as emotional as ever. It's a shame that I didn't listen to you before. If I did, would our relationship be different? And you still come to see me and look at me lovingly?

"Thank you father. I am just as happy as you are."

I said as I smiled.

"Of course. You are your mother's daughter and mine. If this marriage would make you happy, then I can't do anything to oppose."

Even though this marriage was a lie, I couldn't help but feel a pang in my heart. His response right now is very different from his response before. When he looked at me, my body froze when he looked at me coldly.

He truly opposed my marriage with Ron even though I said that I really loved him. But he looked at me lovingly when I said were to be married with the crown prince.

I wonder, does he have a concrete reason on why he opposed my marriage before?

***

Days have passed so quick that it is already the week of the Prince's birthday.

The roads were filled with blue banners to show appreciation for the Prince's birth date. His birth date seemed to be a holiday for everyone, even for the commoners who couldn't attend the banquet.

It was also like this in the past. Lively as ever. The crown prince may be a killing machine during war, but he's a great prince when ruling the empire.