Chasing Stars (13)

Chapter 13

...Flashback...

"There was another thing that I wanted to talk about." Cecil arched a brow.

"Got anything else to say?"

"It's about our act. I think we should make some changes about it."

Cecil bumped her eyes together in a scowl. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

Mikhail clicked his tongue a few times before answering.

"There's. . . . something. And well, I don't think today is the right time to announce our engagement together."

"Can you tell me why?" However, Mikhail stayed silent and avoided contact. Cecil sighed, frustration crinkled in her eyes however she chose to ignore her frustration.

'He must be going through something recently.'

"It's fine if you don't want to tell me." Mikhail was surprised and looked at her, surprised that Cecil didn't pursue him on telling her.

"Thank you, Cecil. And I'm sorry for not being able to tell you."

"It doesn't matter anyway. You needn't tell me. But what now?"

"I already thought of this earlier, and all I need is your approval."

"Then let's hear it." The two stopped walking for a while and subsided to a pillar by the halls.

"I plan to change our false story into something like me asking you to dance at the ball later and said that I fell for you at first sight. You will then dance with me and do the same, I mean falling in love with me at first sight."

Cecil raised an eyebrow. "But don't don't you think it's kind of an incomplete story?"

"Well, We can say that we met secretly after that and met again until we got engaged with each other. We can book a private audience with the emperor after a month and tell him."

Cecil stayed silent for a while, slamming her eyes shut.

'Does she not like that idea?'

"Let's do that then."

...!

"But let's not make any more changes after this, Mikhail."

"Of course." Mikhail then shifted his eyes on Cecil's right hand with the Sapphire Forrest wrapped around her ring finger. Cecil noticed it so she lifted her hand, extending it.

"I guess I can't wear this ring today, huh?" Cecil took it off slowly and gave it to Mikhail. "Here you go."

However, Mikhail didn't accept it. "Please keep it. It is yours now, after all. You can just wear it- when the day is right."

"B-but I can't keep it anywhere. I left its box at the carriage, and this dress doesn't have a pocket or anything."

Mikhail gave a grin, taking the ring from Cecil. But from the looks of it, Cecil did not like the look on his face. As well as his idea.

...End of flashback...

"So you needn't worry about Lady Cecil. We'll still meet later on."

"Ah, yes you highness." Vaughn lowered his head and immediately walked away from Mikhail's sight.

'Milady and His Highness are one weird couple.' He thought before grabbing a glass of wine from the tray.

"My! What a lovely dress you have there, Cecil!"

I and Via sat with the other noble ladies at a table drinking some wine while having small talks. I find it very awkward however Via, who was miss extrovert didn't have a problem mingling with others.

"Thank you Via. You're not so bad yourself." Via wore a red gown that matched her eyes. She had her hair tied up in a simple ponytail, however, she was still looked pretty. "My best friend is very pretty! I'm sooo lucky to have a pretty best friend like Cecil!"

'I should be saying that to you, Via.'

"Lady Via is right. You look extremely pretty today, Lady Cecil." another lady said.

"Lady Cecil is always pretty! I wonder if milady has a special someone in her heart?"

"Or a fiancee? Do you have one milady...?"

I smiled nervously as I waved my hand sideward. "I don't have someone in mind as of now."

"Oh, you don't? I thought you had a crush on Count Lay?"

I bumped my eyebrows together and turned to see who it was, just to find out it was Lady Michelle. I heard that she was married to a Count from the South, but had a divorce recently. Lady Michelle was always irritated by my presence for a reason I don't want to know. All I know is that she hated my guts, and I don't think there is a chance that she'd be on great terms with me.

"My feelings for the count have been long gone already," I answered.

"Oh~? Are you?" She tried to mock me more. She must have thought that I still had lingering feelings for him and was just trying to deny it. But it's the truth.

I was about to answer her but Via cut me off and answered in my stead. "Lady Michelle, it is imprudent of you to try and mock Cecil who has a higher status than you. Please know your place."

Lady Michelle flushed from embarrassment and gritted her teeth. She must've been embarrassed. "W-well, yeah. But I guess I should get going now, ladies!" She quickly stood up from her seat and left the table in a jiffy.

"Please don't mind Lady Michelle, Lady Cecil. She still is bitter from her recent divorce." Another noble lady said. I just nodded silently and took a sip of wine.

"Anyways, where did you get that blue hairpiece, Cecil? It looks very pretty!" I almost spat my drink when I heard Via. She attempted to look closer but I leaned back so that she couldn't take a closer look.

"O-oh, it's just a gift from my father. Hehe." This is not my father's gift, this is the one sacred imperial heirloom Sapphire Forrest on my hair!

When I told Mikhail earlier that I didn't have anything to place the ring. Since I left its box at the carriage after all. But then, he suggested that I disguise it as a hairpiece!

"Disguise the ring as my hairpiece? Mikhail that's dangerous!"

"It won't. Allow me to place it on your hair. I'll make sure that it will not be seen as the Sapphire Forrest ring that's on your head."

"B-but! This is an imperial heirloom! This ring is like a thousand years older than me! What if I lost it? Or step on it and break it?"

"If so, then make sure not to roam around too much at the banquet. Just sit down and wait for me to dance with you later."

"What if someone recognizes it? Sapphire Forrest is in every history book that probably 80% of the empire read..."

"Please do not worry. I'll be disguising it in you- uh, hair."

What I'm doing now is too dangerous! Losing or breaking this thing is equivalent to treason! I can get beheaded for this...

Though I hope not.

"The Marquis has good eyes when it comes to picking jewelry," Via responded.

"But don't you think it looks a bit similar to something?"

My heart skipped a bit there as I glanced at everyone. I'm sure no one remembers it, r-right?

"Well, whatever that thing is, then it must be unimportant." A lady joked, so I just laughed it off as well.

My anxiousness about the ring doesn't fade. I hope that the dance will soon commence!

(Note: Vaughn doesn't know about the real 'contract' between Cecil and Mikhail. All he knows is that the two are engaged and that they are keeping it a secret.)