Chapter 6

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟲 - 𝗕𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘇𝗶𝗻𝗼𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

Lyra sat quietly at the kitchen table, munching on Cheerios. Her mother stared at the tv in shock, Lyra gradually taking glances at it every few seconds. There's a new vigilante in the streets and the police have been struggling to capture them. Alex, Lyra's brother, had to quickly rush to work today to do some research on him and figure out what the person was up to.

By the looks of it, Alex wasn't a big fan of the new vigilante and he looked determined as ever when he got up and left for work. Her mother was worried for her two kids, the words of the police force make it seem as if the person will come and kill them anytime soon.

Lyra stared down at her cereal, glaring at the rings that floated in the milk. She had not woken up very happy today and was of course taking it out of her breakfast.

The two females continued to watch the tv for a short amount of time until it finally turned off, causing a sigh to escape Lyra's lips. She then pushed away from the half-full bowel and stood up, slinging her school bag on her back. Julia watched her daughter rush around in hopes of not being late. She stared at her daughter as she hopped on one foot, trying to shove a shoe on the other, her face squeezing in the attempt.

"You're not going to be late, darling," Julia said causing Lyra to look over at her. The smaller girl shrugged her shoulders before continuing to get ready.

"Probably not but I want to get to school early," Lyra said, gently tugging the charger off her phone. "Need to talk to Gwen about something."

Julia just nodded, still hesitant from the news this morning. "I'm cooking branzino tonight, ask a friend to join if you'd like."

Lyra just nodded her head, and practically ran out the door. She stumbled into the hallway of the apartments before staring at the door across from her for a few minutes as if she was forgetting something. She then clicked her fingers in realisation before running back into their room, opening the door for her mother to walk out.

"Did you forget about me dropping you off?" Julia said with a smirk as her daughter just gave her a sheepish grin.

"Not focused, I guess." Lyra shrugged.

The drive to school didn't take long and by the time they arrived, there was still 15 minutes before the bell. Lyra waved goodbye to her mother before walking through the halls, stopping in front of her locker. The girl placed her stuff into the locker and examined all her stuff in it. Sensing someone's presence she closed the door with a smirk.

"Hey." She said to Gwen as the blonde smiled at her.

"Hey, Lyra." Gwen nodded. "By the looks of it, you've seen that spider guy on tv too?"

Lyra nodded viciously, a proud grin on her face. "Oh, they seem amazing. I mean, I don't think anyone has ever seen someone like this before."

Gwen just tilted her head to the side a little. "Unless they aren't human."

The brunette considered the girl's thoughts for a second but shook her head after a minute. "I think the web substance the person is using is created somehow. Extraordinary velocity is a function of both mass and acceleration and I don't think that comes naturally."

"You know better than anyone the sight of the bob on any pendulum does not affect the swing speed," Gwen said to the girl with a smile, yet was considering her thoughts.

"Doesn't affect the frequency, but it's a momentum factor. This couldn't happen naturally, I'm sure of it." Lyra said as Gwen just nodded.

"I do think the web thing you said is quite possible, it doesn't seem natural but this person must be very smart to create this themself," Gwen said and Lyra nodded viciously.

She was about to continue the conversation until she saw Peter walking down the hall with his hood up. She pointed to him over Gwen's shoulder before waving goodbye to her. Lyra made sure she had all her books before rushing after the boy. Peter sensed her presence and glanced up at her with a small smile. She could see his face covered in the hood as she stared at him.

"Hi." He sighs with a small smile on his face.

"Hey." Lyra greets him, returning the smile. She made her watch her steps now and then to make sure she didn't trip.

"How's it going?" Peter asked her as stops in the middle of the hall, the two now facing each other.

"Pretty good, how about you, where are you going?" She asked him.

"Um...Monday. B track." He answered with a nervous laugh.

Lyra silently chuckled at the boy. "Are you going insane, it's Thursday."

"It's Thursday?" He asked surprised, his eyes growing wide.

That's when Lyra got a good look at the boys to faces, she saw the bruising under his eye as he tried hard to cover it.

"What happened to your eye?" Lyra questions him.

"Hm?" He answered.

"Your eye, I think it's bruised, are you not aware?" She asked him in slight concern, her past giddy mood now turning into worry.

"Oh, yeh, no. I don't know....maybe I got a rash or something." Peter rambled on as she gently cupped his face his one of her hands, her thumb rubbed his cheek as he prevented himself from turning pink.

"It looks pretty bad, Peter, have you gone to the nurse?" She asked him, pulling her hand away.

"Mhm." The boy answered, bringing his face closer to her forehead, ready to depart from her but she wasn't done speaking.

"Do you like branzino?" Lyra asked him, her face flushing pink for a moment. Peter raised an eyebrow at the girl which caused her to continue. "Like the fish?"

"Mhm. No, no I know. I know." Peter nods his head quickly.

"Well, if you want, you can come to my address at eight o'clock tonight," Lyra stated as she hands him a piece of paper she had previously written the details on. "My mums making branzino and she said I could invite a friend, Gwen was going to come but had to back out last minute because her parents had invited her cousins over. It's apartment 16 by the way, I didn't write that but down. I don't know why I didn't, but just remember that."

Peter then nods his head with a small smile creeping its way onto his face. "I'll remember."

Lyra nods before going to turn away, she watches him as he then waves to her slightly, pink dusted cheeks before walking down the hall.

Lyra couldn't stop the little grin that appeared on he face before she was knocked out of the trance and departed the other way.

☘︎︎

An:
😜