Chapter 5

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟱 - 𝗨𝗻𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗨𝗻𝗰𝗹𝗲𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗠𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗠𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵

While standing in front of her locker the next day, Lyra glances over Gwen's shoulder to peer at Peter.

The boy was miserable, ditching school days, slumping around and falling asleep during classes. The news of Uncle Bens death had been on the television, shocking citizens around.

Most parents go full protective mode, making sure to keep their children in sight all the time. The same goes for Alex, Lyra's brother, who had since joined the NYPD and had taken Lyra into his own hands. He made sure she was always safe, it took a massive amount of convincing to let Lyra even buy groceries from the supermarket. At one point, their mum even got involved.

Both Alex and Julia, their mum, had always been protective over Lyra, because of her being the youngest. But also because they had already lost a father and couldn't afford to lose another family member.

Lyra looked into Gwen's sad eyes, they both could see how hard the news hit Peter, he wasn't himself anymore. Even come to think of it, Lyra had seen less and less of the boy as days go past and couldn't help but worry just a bit.

The two best friends watched as Flash started making his way towards Peter, backpack slung across his back as he struts over. Lyra let out a shaky breath before closing her locker and crossing her arms, now giving her full attention to the two boys.

"Hey, Parker!" Flash calls out.

"Not now, Flash," Peter says, keeping his face buried in his locker.

"Come on, man, I just want to talk," Flash said in a somewhat, kind voice? Lyra watched the two encounter suspiciously, the way Flash placed a hand on the boy's shoulder sending shivers down her spine, her mind now becoming cold. Gwen put an arm around Lyra to keep them both steady as they watch Peter spin around and pin Flash aggressively against the lockers. "It feels better, right? Look, your uncle died, I, sorry. I get it, I'm sorry. Okay?"

Peter let his eyes drop before suddenly release's Flash from his hold, the boy now regaining his balance, shaking his head. Most students in the hallway watched as Peter swung his bag on his shoulder, slamming his locker shut.

The boy kept his eyes on the ground the entire time, noticing how people went back to minding their own business.

Peter was about to walk up the stairs before Gwen cut him off with a small yet pitiful hug, trying to bring the boy some sort of comfort. Yet Peter shrugs her off, he appreciated the thought but wasn't in the mood, and kept walking.

Lyra watched as the boy lift an eye and catch her gaze, this look of hopefulness in his eyes as he stared at her. Lyra stepped in front of the boy and was next to pull him into her embrace, trapping the boy in her arms. She saw how tears welled up in his eyes, he seemed like a poor broken boy who couldn't even risk anything else in his life.

Slowly he warmed up in her embrace and Gwen watched from the side with a smile as his hands slowly wrapped around Lyra's waist. His face was suddenly buried in the girl's neck, holding onto her for dear life.

Lyra and Peter held each other for a few more seconds, him capturing the feeling in his heart. Her hold felt secure and safe, something that Peter had hardly ever felt for a long time. They both treasured the moment for a while before Peter pulls away and walks over to the stairs, skipping every 3rd step as he walked up to them.

Lyra then walks over to Gwen and hugs her, the two best friends held each other to her quietly. There was a definite need for comfort in the world and they surely did need it. Lyra pulled away first, looking at Gwen straight in the eyes, letting them slightly drop.

"He's going to be okay, he just needs time." Gwen's said as she now wrapped her arms around the smaller girls shoulder. She could see how the two looked at each other and it wouldn't be long until Peter realised that he can't go much longer without having interactions with Lyra,

"Yeh, time," Lyra muttered while nodding her head.

☘︎︎

An:
Really short, I'm so sorry!