Chapter 16

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟲: 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲𝘀

Thunder rumbled and rain pored overhead as Lyra exited the church with her mother on one side and Gwen on the other. Fate had really taken a turn for Lyra, finding out your older brother died during the fight was hard enough, but also hearing that a past time father figure didn't make it either? She was sure life couldn't get any worse.

People gave her sympathetic pats on the back as they walked past, and it finally felt as if all of the news had finally become reality. They held Alex and Captain Stacy's funeral in a church together, feeling as if this wasn't the time to be alone.

It had been days since she had heard from Peter, it was quite obvious that he was doing his best to avoid the girl. Lyra knew he was there for it all, he watched it happen, and she would at least of thought he would be there for the funeral. Lyra spent minutes after minutes waiting for Peter at the entrance of the church, she even tried to call him (and unfortunately had no success) before she gave up and walked in herself.

Lyra knew Peter wasn't at his best, but it seemed like no one was either. Every night she stayed up, waiting for a reassuring text that would normally come through, yet she was left with nothing.

She felt Gwen's hand suddenly move to her shoulder, squeezing it slightly and giving her a sympathetic look. It was all fine before the tears finally started falling from Gwen's face, dripping onto the ground, since Gwen wasn't bothered to wipe them. That settled it for Lyra as well, before her eyes started to water and fresh tears rolled down her cheek. Slowly, she reached over and pulled Gwen into her arms, rubbing her back softly as both girls tried to seek comfort. Without exchanging words, Gwen pulled back with a tight squeeze and a weak smile before meeting her mother and siblings at their car.

Yet, Lyra just stood there. She examined the church building in self-pity, replaying the ceremony word for word in an emotional way. Julia stared at her door, a sad expression written on her face. Slowly, she approached her daughter and took her gently by the arm, leading her towards their car. Both girls did their best to keep on weak smiles, exchanging thank you's to the guests. Neither of them spoke as they opened the doors, each letting themselves collapse in the seats, taking deep breaths.

After a moment of silence, Lyra turned to her mother. "Can you take me to Peters," She said breaking the tension. "I just need to have a quick word with him."

Julia just nodded before starting the car and driving slowly on the slippery road. Lyra stared out the window, watching as the rain fell and formed a puddle. She glanced at streets that they drove past, small nerves formed in her stomach as she watched each street sign pass, silently dreading the familiar ones that alerted her that they were close.

Minutes past, before Julia finally stopped the car right in front of Peter's house and Lyra took a few deep breaths. Silently exchanging a look with her mother, the girl nodded before clicking the car door open and extending her umbrella. She slowly made her way over to the front door, mentally cursing herself as she knew her mother was watching her. As Lyra stood face to face with the door, she lifted her hand to knock, hesitantly slightly before finally knocking three times, taking a small pause in between each one.