Chapter 8

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟲 - 𝗔𝗻 𝗔𝘄𝗸𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗗𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

The Smith family and Peter all sat around the table, slightly munching on the food in front of them. Peter however was having a difficult time figuring out how to cut the fish and had resulted in pocking it with the tip of the knife.

"You're having quite a lot of trouble with that fish? You have touched it one bit." Lyra leaned over to whisper in the boys ear, nudging him slightly. Alex smirked smugly as he watched Peter fail on cutting it.

"I have- I have no idea." Peter stuttered slightly as he shook his head, his face turning a light shade of pink. He was slightly fidgeting around in his seat, gently tapping his fork on the table nervously.

"You should have said so, here, let me help," Lyra whispered as she took the boys utensils out of his hands, now using them to cut the fish into small pieces. Alex was now glaring at Peter who seemed to be admiring Lyra as she leaned over him. Peter caught the big brothers eyes, quickly lowering his head in embarrassment.

"Alex," Julia Smith spoke up, breaking the odd silence. "how was your day? Have you caught that spider guy yet, you know, the one you've been speaking about?" She asked in a questioning state, her hand covering her mouth as she chewed on a piece of fish.

Peters head automatically snapped up towards Alex, now paying full attention. Lyra watched as Peter became slightly uncomfortable and insecure as he started fiddling in his seat again. The boy seemed to have come back from the daydream he was in and now watched in full interest as Alex spoke up.

"Not yet," Alex said with a mouth full of food. "We haven't caught him yet but I'm sure we will." He said swallowing his food with a confident look. "He's an amateur who's assaulting civilians in the dead of the night. He's also clumsy, leaves a loss of clues that we could easily track down but..." The boy trailed off now looking at Peter and Lyra, "He's still dangerous."

Peter all of a sudden spoke up with a surprised expression. "He's- he's assaulting people?" The boy questioned, shocked. "Ugh, we'll I'm not sure but I've seen that video of him and that car thief..." he trailed off and Lyra slightly adverted her eyes downwards, now finding her fish a very interesting sight. "I think most people would say he was...doing them a favour, providing a public service."

"Actually," Alex started again now glaring at the boy, "'Most people' would be wrong, if the police wanted that car thief of the streets then Captain Stacy would have already got him off."

"So why wasn't he then...?" Peter replied in a defensive tone. Lyra lightly choked on her fish, covering it up with a nervous laugh as she shot Peter a warning look.

"Okay, now listen here Parker," Alex said. "Let me illuminate you, the car thief was leading us to the people who run the entire operation. It's been a six-month-long sting, it's called a strategy." He informed Peter with a deep glare. "I'm sure you aware of the term strategy? You've heard about it in school?

"Yeh," Peter confirmed, nodding.

"Good." Alex nodded before turning back to his food. Things seemed to have died down now, the table now being left in awkward silence. Lyra shot a nervous glance at her mum who seemed to be watching the two males worriedly.

"Well, obviously he didn't know you had a plan," Peter said shaking his head, placing a piece of fish into his mouth, now looking straight down at his plate.

"You seem to know an awful lot about this spider guy, do you know something we don't know, I mean who's side are you on?" Alex shook his head, facing the boy.

"I'm not on anyone's side I just-" Peter trailed off. "As I said, I saw a video on the internet..."

"Oh," Alex said with a mocking expression, throwing his utensils onto his plate with a defeated look. "You saw a video on the internet, well then the case is closed." Lyra now lowered her head into her arms as she shook it slightly.

"Well- no, I'm just saying if you watch the video," Peter replied using his hands as a gesture. "I can maybe send you a link, it looks like he's trying to help."

"No, no." Alex shook his head. "On the internet, he's been made to look like some masked hero or something."

"Oh, no." Peter shook his head defensively. "I'm not saying he's a hero, I don't think he's a hero at all."

"What are you trying to say then?" Alex asked the boy, while Lyra gently tugged on Peters's arm.

"Peter, stop." She mumbled, seeing as this now was turning into a huge argument.

"I'm saying he's trying to help. It looks like he's trying to do something maybe the police can't." Peter kept on going and Lyra dropped her fork on her plate with a loud clatter, the boys took no notice of this and kept going.

"Something the police can't?" Alex asked, now in disbelief.

"I don't know..." Peter trailed off.

"What do you think we do all day?" Alex asked with a rising anger voice, "You think we just sit around eating doughnuts with our thumbs firmly up our asses?"

"Alex!" Lyra said in a small disbelieving look, trying to get the boy to calm down.

"Up your what honey?" Questioned Julia now with a warning glare.

"I think he stands for what you do, protecting innocent people from bad guys," Peter said with a nod, placing another piece of fish into his mouth.

"I stand for law and order, Parker, that's what I stand for," Alex said with a gritted voice. "Okay, I wear a badge. This guy wears a mask like a- you know, like an outlaw." He trailed off defensively. "He's hunting down criminals that all look the same like he's got some sort of personal vendetta. But he's not protecting innocent people."

Lyra now dropped both her utensils on the plate, standing up slightly. "Let's get some air, Peter." She said, now walking out of her seat. "Alex, we need to talk."

"Yes, we do." Her older brother said, taking a sip of orange juice, not looking away from his plate.

"Thank you for having me over, I'm sorry if I insulted you. It was never my intention." Peter shook his head with a small stutter. "Branzino was real good, Mrs Smith. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Julia said nodding with a small smile. "And call we Julia, Mrs Smith seems too formal."

Peter just nodded, now taking Lyra outstretched hand she pulled him through the hallways, up to the rooftop.

☘︎︎

An:
Y'all know what the next scene is 😏
Two chapters in one night? Y'all are lucky asf.