Chapter 4

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰 - 𝗖𝗼𝗺𝗽𝘂𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗣𝗵𝗼𝘁𝗼𝘀𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀: 𝗡𝗼𝗻𝗲

"They're not going to make us pay for the backboard, you know that," Peter said walking next to his uncle.

Uncle Ben just sighed as he muttered. "I don't care about the backboard."

They both continued to walk before stopping in the middle of the hallway, standing directly in front of one another.

"Was that true?" Ben asked the boy with a disappointed stare, Peter gave him a confused look causing him to elaborate. "What I just heard in there. Did you humiliate the boy?"

"Yes, I did." Peter sighed looking down. "But this guy deserved it."

Ben gave him a slight frown. "Was he the guy that hit you?"

Peter furrowed his eyebrows, his eyes looking anywhere but his uncles. He continued to bounce on his feet as his jaw clenched slightly.

"Is he?" Ben asked.

"Yeh, yeh but-" Peter said nodding his head after a moment of silence.

"So all this was about getting even," Ben said nodding at Peter as he frowned. "Is so, I guess you feel pretty good about yourself now, right?" He continued, "am I right or wrong?"

Peter shook his head with a sigh, lowering his body to knock a foot along the ground. His eyes now bled with guilt as he avoided eye contact with his uncle.

"Yeh, I thought so." Ben nodded. "Well thanks to this little escapade of yours, I had to change shifts at work, so you have to pick up Aunt May at 9:00. Understood?"

Peter just continued to stare at his feet, staying silent for another moment.

"Is that understood?" Uncle Ben repeated, now resting his weight to the balls of his feet.

"Yeh, yeh," Peter said nodding.

Lyra walked down the hall and caught sight of Peter and his uncle in the middle, seamlessly having a serious conversation. She decided to lean against a wall, waiting for the two to be done so she could talk with Peter. Lyra look down at her chipped nails frowning, shaking her head at the sight.

"Okay, yeh good," Ben said nodding directly at Peter.

He then looked around the hallway for a bit, watching as Peter shifted from one leg to another. Suddenly a pretty, brunette girl caught the old man's sight as he stared at her. He looked at her as if he knew her from somewhere yet he couldn't quite place a finger on it.

"She looks familiar." He said nodding towards Lyra, Peter then turned around now catching her eye. He stared at her for a moment before coming back into reality, staring at his uncle in embarrassment. "She's the girl on your computer, right?"

Peter then slightly shook his head with a flushed face, trying to convince his uncle to stop talking.

Ben then turned his head upwards to look over Peter's shoulder, now looking directly at the girl. "He's got you on his computer, I'm his probation officer." He said quite loudly, causing Lyra to look at him in shock.

Peter's eyes widened as he silently prayed for himself.

"Don't forget Aunt May," Ben said before departing down the hallway, sending Lyra a bright smile with a wave as he went by.

Peter then fake laughed to cut the tension, watching as his uncle turned the corner of the hallway. "Okay."

He then turned around, now walking towards Lyra with a slightly pink face. He watched as the girl slightly smirked at him, and he cursed himself.

"He's a character. That's my uncle. He's a pathological liar, thought you were someone else." He said as he let his blush take over his whole face.

"Your uncle did look quite confident as he said that," Lyra said with a smirk, causing Peter to go redder. "But I'm not going to question it, I don't even wanna know why I am there." She said with a small laugh.

Peter then shook his head. "I took a photo of the debate team and...you're in the debate team, so."

Lyra nodded her head with a smile. "Right."

"So he must have seen- um, I- because I was touching up stuff." He said making a hand gesture of a pen. She slightly smiled more.

"You were touching up stuff?" She questioned with a breathy laugh as Peter started letting out small chuckles, him shaking his head slightly.

"I was, I was... You know, I'm not going to answer that." He said as they both quietly laughed together.

"Did you get expelled?" Lyra asked, smile not leaving her face.

"No, no, I didn't get expelled. I got community service." He said sighing as Lyra nodded before she turned her back slightly to start walking away.

"Um, so, uh, you want to, I don't know...?" He stuttered nervously as he watched the girl turn around and make eye contact with him. "Um..."

"Want to what?" Lyra asked with a small grin, she knew what he was asking yet she wanted to see if he would actually ask it.

"I don't know. Just, uh..." Peter sighed as he looked into her eyes, silent, biting his lip slightly. He shrugged his shoulders. "Um... I don't know, we could- I don't know, we could, uh... or we could do something else, or we could- if you don't feel like- "

"Yeah." Lyra sighed while smiling like an idiot as she watched Peter stumble over his words in embarrassment.

"Yeah?" He asked in slight shock.

"Yeh either one," Lyra said with a small chuckle.

"Really?" He asked, now in full shock.

"Sure." She shrugged her shoulders, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Okay. All right, good. Sounds good." Peter nodded, still processing her answer.

"Cool," Lyra said, almost in a whisper. "So, I'll see you late then?"

"Yeh....yeh definitely!" He said now snapping out of his daydream, watching her with soft, loving eyes as she gently spun around in her heel.

"Bye." She smiled before walking down the hall, she turned around just a bit to see him smiling brightly at her before he spun around and skipped out of the hall in happiness.

She shook her head slightly with a small laugh and looked back as turned the corner, she saw Gwen reading a book against her locker.

Gwen noticed Lyra's dazed smile and gently closed her book to hug her, knowing exactly what happened.

☘︎︎

An:
How are you?