- O4 ▎

[ Janelle on MM ; Kat Graham ]

• Jadah|'

-

"I'm having this party tonight," Janelle told me as we walk beside each other, making our way to lunch. "And I want you to come."

"Uh, I-I don't know, Nel." I sighed. "You know how-"

"Always making excuses, Jade." She frowned as we sat down. "Are we ever gonna get to hang out outside of school?"

I felt bad. "Okay, I'll be there."

She smiled. "Good. But, don't wear long sleeves. It'll be hot."

I bit my bottom lip nervously. "I have to wear long sleeves." Last night, after telling Derrick to hit me instead, he beat the shit out of me. Now, I have more bruises on my back and stomach. Makeup kind of covered the bruise on my face.

"You never give me a good reason on why you wear long sleeves everyday. You keep saying, It's my style." She tried mimicking my voice and I laughed. "But, I hope you didn't expect me to believe that."

"Why don't you?"

"Oh my gosh!" She gasp, then whispered. "Do you self- harm?"

"No," I chuckled. "Course not."

She huffed and shook her hand in a dismissing manner. "I give up. You better be at my party."

"What if I have work?" I bit my bottom lip.

"Call off." She shrugged, like it was that easy.

I mean, it is. All you need is one phone call. But, it's not easy for me because of Derrick. Just to get away from home, I never call off. I'm pretty sure I have work this afternoon.

"Did I tell you I got accepted to Harvard University?" She squealed. Janelle always talk about how she wants to be a lawyer. "I'm so excited."

"Well, I'm happy for you." I did a small smile.

I don't know what I'm gonna do with my life. Derrick doesn't want me to go to college. He makes me feel so low and self conscious about myself that sometimes I think he's right about everyhing he say about me. I don't even see myself with a successful life. I don't even have money to pay for college. I don't have a dream like every one else do.

"Jadah!" Janelle shouted.

I startled. "What?"

"You zoned out on when I was trynna tell you that Eli got accepted too. We're both going to the same university." I almost hear her bragging.

"Aw, that's cute." I said, sarcastically.

She rolled her eyes playfully at me. "What about you? What college or university accepted you?"

"Oh, nothing yet. T-They haven't sent in anything y-yet." I lied. I never applied for one. It's embarrassing that everyone is getting accepted somewhere but me.

"What did you apply for?"

"Um, -"

The bell rung.

I quickly stood up. Thank God. I hate lying to Janelle 'cause she never lies to me. What kind of bestfriend am I? She knows nothing about me, yet I know everything about her. From now on, I'll try to be a better friend. No matter how much beatings I get from Derrick.

When school ended, I made my way out of the school campus. I saw Trey walking. Do I have to see him everywhere I go? I waved at him and kept walking. He turned back and started walking next to me.