- O8 ▎

• Jadah |'

-

"Dad..." I said, shockingly.

"Come on, Jadah." He snapped his fingers. "Your mom is in the car waiting - she couldn't even face you right now."

"I thought I told y'all not to come look for me?" I mentally face palm myself. What am I doing? Isn't this what I wanted? To go back home?

"Derrick contacted us and told us where you were and eveything that you've been doing. You ran away and started doing drugs with him." My dad glared at Trey then back at me. "What happened to you Jadah? It all ends now."

"Drugs?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "I've never done any drugs! He lied to you!" Trey laughed sarcastically and walked away, giving us some privacy. "Dad, you know me. I would never do drugs."

"What have you been doing out here then?"

I fiddled nervously with my fingers. "School and work."

"You couldn't do that back at home?! You had to runaway?"

"Can you stop yelling at me!" I raised my voice. "You don't even know the real reason why I ran away so stop yelling at me!" I hate it when he yells at me and he knows that.

He huffed."Go pack your stuff, we'll talk about this when we get home."

"I'm not going anywhere." I felt my eyes water.

He was a bit taken aback. He exhaled deeply, calming himself. "You know what? Fine. We leave on Thursday, you have three days to think about your decision. You don't leave with us, don't think about returning."

He walked away, leaving me dumbfounded. I closed the door and turned around, to see Trey just looking at me. I rolled my eyes. "I know. Don't have to tell me."

"But, can I ask though?" He chuckled. "Why didn't you go?"

"You saw how he was mad at me." I groaned lightly. "I didn't wanna go home, knowing they were gonna judge for apparently "doing drugs". I can't believe Derrick."

"Go with them." He shrugged, approaching me. "They're your family after all. You left them for Derrick, they have every right to be mad at you."

"Going back with them will change everything."

"Or maybe it'll go back to normal before you left." He chuckled. "And you might wanna get a new phone and number."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?"

"That's how Derrick tracked you down."

I ran my through my hair and signed heavily. "Why does he have to put me through this.." I mumbled to myself. "I can't afford a new one - maybe I should go back with my parents."

"You should. It's what's best for you right now and you'll also be safe with them." He shrugged a little.

"What about you?"

He chuckled. "What about me?"

"You know, leaving you. I love being friends with you and if I go I'll have to leave you. I'll live in New York while you're in Vegas."

"We can facetime, call, and text each other." He did a small smile. "I'm sure it won't be that hard."

I nodded and gave him a hug. "I'll miss you."

•••

The fact that they never spoke to me on our flight journey and in the car, driving back home was quite annoying. I'm gonna regret coming back if that's how they're gonna react. I got down the car when my dad parked in our driveway.

Nothing changed.

The familiar aroma of our home filled my nose and I did a small smile. So much memories filled my head. I haven't been here for about two and a half years. It felt like I was coming home from college.

"C'mon." My dad nudged me.

I hesitated before stepping inside the house. The smell of my sister, Kourtney's famous pasta filled the house. I grin once I saw her in the kitchen, preparing the food. She ran towards me and pulled me in a tight hug.

"Don't ever leave me again." She squeezed me.

She was one year younger than me while my brother, Dominique, was two years older than me. Kourtney finally let go of me.

"You have a lot to tell me." She pointed a finger at me.

I chuckled a little. "Not that much happened." I lied.

"You're sleeping in your old room," My dad spoke. "Dom will be back in a few. He's at football practice." He plays college football.

Dominique's the overly overprotective brother. He makes me tell him everything. We were closer than Kourt and I. Kourtney's the one I gossip with.

I nodded and walk down the hallway. We lived in a small house with two bathroom and three bedrooms. My parents shared a room and a bathroom. I shared a room with my sister, my brother have his own room and we all share the bathroom. We didn't have any stairs or a pool.

I opened the door and noticed my bed was on the same spot and the room looked about the same just a few more posters on the wall.

I laid on my back and closed my eyes. Right when I was about to fall asleep, the door burst open. I groaned. I forgot how it was here.

You can never get some sleep.

But, it's not like living with Derrick was any better. I watched as Dom walked over to the bed and sat down.

"You're all sweaty." I put my hand over my nose and giggled.

He laughed. "Really? That's the first thing you gon' say to me?" I nodded and shooed him away. "Alright, I'll go take a shower. But when I'm done, we can talk. And I want you to tell me the truth. Don't think I fell for the speech you gave the day you left us."

He walked out, silently closing the door behind him. Of course he didn't. I rolled my eyes.

Few minutes later, he came back in the room. I wanted to fall asleep but I was too busy thinking up of a lie to tell him as to why I ran away without telling him Derrick forced me and that I was being abused.

"So, tell me." He went straight to it.

"Uh.." I trailed. "I-I didn't feel -- comfortable?" I questioned. I'm such a bad liar. "I don't know how to explain it," I played it off. "I just didn't feel right."

"It didn't feel right living with your own family?" He raised a brow at me.

"Fine." I exhaled. "I'll tell you the real reason why when I feel like I'm ready."

"Which is when?" He chuckled. "In another 10 years."

I nodded. "Yeah, probably." I joked.

"I won't pressure you to tell me, even though I want to." He rolled his eyes playfully. He pulled at my sleeve and I quickly held it down. "Aren't you hot? It's 91° today."

"N-No." I shook my head. "You know, mom haven't said a word to me since I got here." I changed the subject quickly.

"Can you blame her? You broke her - our heart when you left. She spent the whole month crying."

I groaned. It wasn't my fault! I wanted to say but I kept my mouth shut. "Dinner's ready!" I heard Koutney yelled from the kitchen.

"Finally." Dom mumbled.

We made our way in the kitchen and sat down on the dining table. The door bell rung and it startled me.

"Oh, he's here." My mom spoke for the first time.

"He, as in Derrick." Kourtney answered my silent question and I soon as she said that, my face went terrified.

"Derrick?" My heart raced. "What is he doing here?" In New York. Is he stalking me?

My mom made her way towards the door and replied with a smile, "We invited him for dinner."

vote and comment for next chapter ♡
| characters on MM |
{ they're mixed ; Caucasian mom and African American dad }