34 - Look Over There!

(Name) reached her hand forward, her fingertips just brushing against the back of his shirt. But Midoriya glanced back at her, running even faster. (Name) let go of the tentacle, stumbling a bit as her feet met the packed earth.

"Right now, the first person back in the stadium is... Midoriya Izuku!"

...

(Name) mustered a stiff grin, slowing to a jog as she exited right after Deku. Patting him on the back, (Name) collapsed on the ground beside him, arms and legs splayed out. She saw Midoriya start to tear up, his eyebrows creasing.

"De... Deku. Don't start crying now..." (Name) gasped through her rapid breaths, not sure if Midoriya would be able to hear her over the screaming crowd.

Deku rubbed his arm against his face, drying his tears before giving a wavery smile to (Name).

(Name) in turn flashed a thumbs up, not bothering to get up as the rest of the students filtered inside.

"The first game of the first-year stage is finally over. Now, let's take a look at the results!"

'Second place, huh...' (Name) sat up. 'Heh heh, not bad...'

"The top 42 from this round will move on. But for those who placed lower, don't worry! We've prepared other chances for you to shine."

A screen lit up behind Midnight, flashing with different colors. "The real competition begins next! Now then, here is the next event!"

The screen stilled, making out two words.

"Cavalry Battle?"

"Let me explain," Midnight turned around, looking at the screen as a picture of All Might being carried by Present Mic and Thirteen.

(Name) stifled a snicker, looking to the side.

"...The points assigned go up by five starting from the bottom. So 42nd place gets five points, and 41st gets 10 points. And the point value assigned to first place is..."

"TEN MILLION POINTS!"
(Name) wheezed, putting a hand on Deku's shoulder as she doubled over.

"I'm not-" (Name) squeezed out, gasping for air. She glanced at Midoriya's pale face, nearly bursting in more laughter at his expression. "I-I'm not laughing!"

Midoriya stood completely still. (Name) slowly stood back up as everyone turned to stare at Deku, murder evident in their eyes.

"Welp, you're screwed," (Name) said finally, patting Deku's back. "But..."

(Name) flashed Midoriya a thumbs up, sprouting an overly-happy grin that did not match the situation. "I'm still rooting for you!"

"Now, you have fifteen minutes to build your teams. Start!"

"Hey, Deku, you wanna-" (Name) started.

"Hey! You came second, right?!?! Team up with me!" Some rando ran in front of (Name). Soon enough, more people came.

"Hey (Name), pick me!"

(Name) gulped, before initiating a shitty plan. "I already know who I'm going to pick..." She said, a smirk crossing her face.

"That person!"

(Name) pointed behind the crowd, making everyone look away in that direction.

"What? Where!"

"It was obvious she was pointing to me!"

The crowd looked back at (Name), but she was already gone.

"..."

(Name) slowly crept away, glancing back at the crowd. "Hehehe-"

She was cut off as she bumped into something. "Ack-"

"(Last Name)."

(Name) froze, looking up to see two icy heterochromia eyes.

The two of them stared at each other in silence.

"Uh..." (Name) started, before flashing a pair of finger guns. "Heeeeeey there hot stuff. Cold stuff. Both stuff?"

"(Name). Join my team," Todoroki said bluntly. "I've seen how powerful your Quirk was during the USJ incident. We'll have a guaranteed win."

"Wow. Look over there!"

"Just because everyone else falls for it, doesn't mean I will."

'Shit! That was my ultimate move!'

"Well," (Name) started, looking at Deku in pity. "I was actually thinking of joining Deku's team."

Todoroki's eyes narrowed. "Midoriya? His points will only drag you down."

(Name) grinned. "I've always loved a challenge. Pushing yourself is part of the U.A spirit. Plus Ultra and shit."

Todoroki stared at (Name) curiously. "If that's your choice, then so be it."

And with that, he left.

(Name) stared after him, watching as he grouped up with Yaoyorozu and Kaminari.

"Hey (Name), group with me!"

(Name) stiffened. She spun on her heel, running away from the students yelling at her, making her way toward Midoriya.

"Deku-" (Name) whispered, hiding behind his figure. "Shield me."

"Wh-what? Why?" He asked, a quiver in his voice.

(Name) stuck her head out, eyeing the people avoiding Midoriya like a plague. She could see Bakugou look at her with his angry stare, before he started to stomp his way over to her and Deku.

"Oh shiiiiit-"

"Deku! Let's team up!"

"Uraraka!" Deku cried, his tears flying everywhere. (Name) took a step back to avoid the onslaught of tears.

"Is it okay? Everyone'll probably be after me for the ten million points!"

Uraraka wiped her face with her sleeve, before a bright smile spread across her face. "Yeah, but if we run away the entire time, we'll be able to win!"

"Don't forget to include me!" (Name) grinned, pointing a thumb at herself.

"You too, (Name)?!?!"

"Yup! Now all we need is one more person!" (Name) exclaimed.

Midoriya looked at his hands, sticking up two fingers as if counting them. "With both of your Quirks, we can use the zero gravity to dodge, and (Name)'s tentacles enable her to easily grab others headbands, making her a good rider. Now all we need is him..."

Midoriya turned around, walking up to Iida. "Iida!"

(Name) slowly trailed after Midoriya and Uraraka, noticing how Iida was already standing in a circle with Todoroki's group. 'Oh...'

"Uuuh, Deku," (Name) nudged Midoriya's shoulder. "I think Iida already has a team."

"Huh?"

Iida looked down. "(Name) is right. I'll have to refuse."

"Ever since the entrance exam, I keep losing to you. You're a wonderful friend, but if I keep following you, I'll never grow. Bakugou and Todoroki aren't the only ones who see you as a rival."

Iida turned around, going back to Todoroki and his team. "I will challenge you."

(Name) let out a low whistle. "Damn, that was edgy. Well, good luck!"

(Name) grinned, waving at Iida. She could see Todoroki staring at her, but chose to ignore him.

"Welp, now we need to find someone else!"

Midoriya looked around, before walking off somewhere. His brows were drawn, and a determined look was on his face.

"Deku?"

"Where you going, boy?"