Prologue

Harry's hands were trembling as he reached for the burner phone in his pocket. Harlow was gripping his hand tightly as they stood under a tree, hiding.

It's done.

The message made him exhale a sigh of relief. It was sent a good two hours ago. He looked over at his daughter, concealer hiding big purple and blue bruises.

They started walking towards their house. Using his key, he opened the door. "Arnold?" He called out, voice shaky.

No reply, as he expected. He walked in further and searched each room for him. Finally, he stopped in front of the man's office door. He looked down at his daughter who had a fearful look spread across her face. "Baby, go to your room." He instructed gently trying not to frighten the pale child.

Harlow shook her head, her curls bouncing. "No mama. Papa hurt you," she insisted. Harry cooed at his little daughter.

"No baby, I promise." He nudged her in the opposite direction. She begrudgingly left Harry and ran up the stairs.

Harry waited until he could not smell Harlow's scent before turning back to the door. He pushed the door open, and on any normal day, he would have gotten beaten senseless if he came in unannounced. Today, however, was not any normal day. Today was different.

Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw. He knew he was responsible for it, but it was not guilt he felt. He was still an omega and the site of a dead body made him release the little contents that remained in his stomach. It made it more believable when he phoned 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"M-My alpha is d-dead." His throat was itchy after vomiting.

"Okay sir, please tell me your address."

Harry gave the officers his address and they showed up quickly as they usually would when it was a dead alpha.

Social prejudice towards omegas never fell over time due to the mentality and mindset people had ingrained into them.

They patted him on the back and comforted him. No one suspected him of anything since he was an omega, the weaker gender.

In reality, Arnold's death was only a blessing for Harry and Harlow. His hand ghosted over his failed bond mark from when Arnold tried to force it on him and he dodged it.

The mark was so embarrassing and shameful. Apart from that, the cool metal on his leg reminded him of what Arnold did to him and his baby.

His transtibial prosthesis was the result of Arnold's rage. It also resulted in stitches on Harlow's hand as well as the stitches that ran from the corner of her eyebrow to just behind her ear. He would never miss the man.

He wooed Harry with flowers and gifts and Harry, being naive fell for his act and eventually ended up hurt beyond words. He knew leaving Arnold was never an option so he did what any responsible and loving mother would do, he made sure Arnold was gone, unable to hurt Harlow.

He sought comfort in the fact that Harlow would never be black and blue again. Harlow being an omega only made everything worse for the two of them, but how could Harry not love his baby? His Harlow? How could anyone not love his baby girl with her bright green eyes and soft curls?

Crying was what brought him back to reality. His feet moved before he knew what was happening and he was running up the stairs.

Harlow ran into his legs, hiding her face, triggered by the loud sirens. Anger boiled through him because Harlow was so scared because of Arnold. He failed as a mother, he was not able to protect his baby.

He covered her ears and hummed in her ear. "Mama is here baby. You're okay." He hushed her.

He kept her ears covered the entire time and officers only cared about the dead body and not them. It was only an omega paramedic that made sure they were okay and unharmed. He also got his alpha, a police officer, to turn the loud sirens off upon seeing Harlow's reaction to them.

He was grateful to him. Harlow did not understand much apart from the fact that she would be safe now that Arnold was gone. The arrogant alpha's cause of death was concluded as a heart attack.