T W O

Everything was quiet and Harry tried not to think about Arnold, about what he did to them, about what a terrible mother he was, about how no one would want him. It was not like he was looking for an alpha, but his height was already a hindrance in finding an alpha. Add to it the fact that he wore a prosthesis, he felt like such a failure.

He was startled out of his thoughts because of a pained whimper. His head snapped in Harlow's direction. Her features look scared and she was trying to curl in on herself. "Harly." Harry shook her gently. "Wake up baby. It's just a nightmare," he said softly, trying to coax the crying girl awake.

"Papa no!" she screamed as she startled awake. Her little body was shaking and Harry choked back tears as he pulled Harlow into his lap and placed her face in the crook of his neck. She shook with muffled sobs. "H-He hit you, mama," she cried.

Harry looked up to push back tears. "He can't hurt me baby. Not anymore." He tried to soothe her, but unlike every other time, it did not work and he wanted to cry so badly.

Louis sensed the omega's distress and against his better judgement, he stood to his feet and walked towards them. He saw the way the omega tensed. "May I?" he asked as gently as he could.

Harry hesitated, but he needed Harlow to calm down and it was not like the alpha—Louis— could hurt them with people watching so he nodded.

Louis took Harlow's previous seat and held his hand out for the small omega. Harlow whimpered, but when Louis scented her slightly, she went lax in his hold and eagerly buried her face in the crook of Louis's neck and inhaled.

Louis chuckled at the omega's actions while Harry was left shocked as he was trying his best not to lean into the alpha and inhale his scent. He held himself back however and just watched Harlow stop crying, calming down completely. "I-I– thank you," Harry whispered.

Louis turned his head to look at the omega who looked to be on the verge of tears. He pushed the divider down and opened his arms for the omega. "I know it's weird, but you look like you could really use a hug," Louis said softly, not forcing the omega to do anything he did not want to.

Harry hesitated, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth. He raked his fingers through his hair, feeling self-conscious about many things including his leg or lack thereof. Louis sensed the omega's distress as if it were his own, his insecurity evident in his scent. "I'm not going to judge you or force you. I just want to help." He gave a reassuring smile.

Harry eyed how Harlow was relaxed in a complete stranger's— an alpha's—hold which was uncommon considering she was extremely scared of them before nodding slowly.

He tentatively moved over and Louis waited patiently seeing the omega flinch more than once before finally leaning into his side.

Louis's hand wrapped around Harry gently, but firmly. It felt safe and he understood why Harlow felt so comfortable. The alpha made him feel safe. "Can I know your name, love?" The alpha's voice was soft, calm, safe.

Harry leaned in impossibly and sighed. "Harry." His voice was very hushed, and if it were not for Louis's alpha hearing, he would not have heard it.

"That's a lovely name." Louis's voice calmed Harry's restless omega and eventually he fell asleep much like Harlow, tucked into the alpha's side.

Louis smiled as he watched the two omegas sleep, fully relaxed for the first time since he met them. He brought his hand up and brushed some hair away from Harry's face, looking down at his lax features,  naturally pouty lips and long eyelashes. He ran his fingers through the curly hair and smiled when Harry nuzzled closer to him. He moved his hand to return it to its original place when he froze.