Chapter 73.1 - Protagonist: Are you comforting me?

After they said farewell to Antonio, Du Ze, Xiu, and the others walked on. The next questions were more and more difficult such as: the name of third Emperor of the Moonlight Empire, the number of people who died in the Battle of the Light Empire, and so on. Rachel and Old John have no knowledge of the human race’s history. Fortunately, Xiu was able to answer those questions.

Du Ze remembered that the author had written that when Xiu was in the Magic School, his performance was outstanding. Whether it was magic or theoretical knowledge, the Moe Lord was always in first place which made Princess Kelly envious.

Du Ze glanced at the Lich’s handsome but extremely gloomy face – being too outstanding is not always a good thing.

Regarding this simulation, Du Ze thought it would be easy as long as they were able to answer the questions but he was too naive. In this library, what they need to guard against is not the simulation’s challenges but the other tower climbers.

Whenever a tower climber is not able to answer a question, in addition to researching among the various books, there is another option: stealing other people’s checkpoint. If a tower climber cannot answer a question, they can enter the checkpoint before the others do or they can simply kill the others, then they will not be stuck.

That method is more efficient than trying to find answers in the ever-growing sea of bookshelves. As they made progress in the simulation, they met many tower climbers who tried to get close to them. Xiu ruthlessly killed those who tried to steal their checkpoints. Du Ze stared at the disappearing corpses and felt as though the tower was mocking them: in this simulation, there are no monsters that threaten the tower climbers, but the tower climbers chose to kill each other.

They entered the portal and passed a long line of bookshelves. Then they heard a noise in front of the statue.

“Enoch!”

“Hey… Don’t worry, the thief won’t … die so easily! Cough.”

“Miss, get out of there! It’s dangerous!”

Why…?

Du Ze took two quick steps and saw the gold mercenary team around a bend of the bookshelves. Enoch, Honey, and Bart were being attacked by the sphinx statue. When the statue is given the wrong answers, the only thing the tower climbers can do is to destroy it and wait for another statue to respawn.

The three people were in grave danger; Honey was even caught by the sphinx. Du Ze involuntarily looked at Xiu. The mercenary team’s relationship with Xiu can be said to be bad. Du Ze was not sure if he would save them.

As Du Ze watched, Xiu silently raise his death scythe and a black crescent-shaped blade flew towards the mercenary team, cutting off the front paws of the statue that was about to crush Honey. Seeing that Xiu has attacked, Old John and the others quickly joined the battle and swiftly disposed of the sphinx.

Honey was watching all of this in shock and when she realized that she and her team were not going to die, the little girl burst into tears: “Waaaaah…what a terrible thing! I want to leave the tower…”

Bart was helplessly trying to comfort Honey while the dejected Enoch approached Xiu, wanting to thank him.

“Dear brothers, thank you – ah!” Enoch pointed at Du Ze and shouted: “You’re here, too?!”

Before Du Ze could respond, Enoch saw the Phoenix on Du Ze’s shoulder and Old John next to him. The thief jumped up like a cat whose tail had been stepped on. “Is that terrible gnome around?”

Old John laughed and did not answer. Du Ze glanced at Xiu, it seems that the Moe Lord had given this idiot a serious psychological trauma.

Not seeing the gnome around, Enoch seemed relieved and continued to talk foolishly to Du Ze: “Hey! Where’s brother Xiu?”