MAD MAX

It's been almost a year since Will's disappearing

Everyone calmed down after his mysterious coming back and almost everything went back to normal.

Except for the fact that Joyce wouldn't let Will go anywhere on his own and Mike started to behave stranger and stranger since the incident at the Middleschool.

He probably missed Eleven who sacrificed herself and killed the demogorgon.

I had to watch in sorrow how he became quieter and quieter over time and how the boy's expression, when he felt like no one was watching him, became so numb and so unlike the Mike I knew.

Will was okay, at least that's what he wanted us to think, but I saw that something was off.

Lucas, Dustin and I tried our best to make them both feel better and spent almost everyday of the summer holidays together, mostly at the arcade, where we wanted to meet today as well.

I was waiting there for the four boys and spent my time playing Pac-Man. At least I wanted to do that, but the game was broken...again.

I cursed annoyed and made my way to Keith, who stood at the counter and already grinned at me knowingly.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Keith? Pac-Man has already been broken twice this week. That's not possible.",I hissed at the boy with his stupid, unhealthy Cheeto Puffs in his hands.

"Not my fault, Emma. That's just the way Mother Nature works.",he replied and continued eating that cheesy trash.

'Sorry Cheeto Puffs but I'm just really angry right now.'

"We're talking about a freaking video game. And for the record; you're not Mother Nature. Stop manipulating it so that I have to talk to you. That's stalker behavior.",I scoffed and walked away.

I went outside and saw Joyce's car drive into the arcade's parking lot.

Dustin, Lucas and Mike arrived at the same time.

I walked towards the car and smiled widely at Will who was still sitting in the car seat, getting the "Call me if anything happens-speech" from Joyce.

"...please listen to Emma. If anything happens talk to her or ask someone who works there to use their phone and call home. Okay? Don't-." "Don't walk or bike home. I know.",I heard Will say.

I smiled softly. "I'll take good care of him, Joyce. Will's save with me."

I gently ruffled his hair when he sprinted towards the arcade entrance.

The mother sighed. "I know. Thank you, Emma. It's a big relief to know that you're there and watching over him. I just- I'm so worried about him. He is different since he came back."

I sighed. "I've noticed that too but we can't blame him, Joyce. He was in this terrible place and he's been through hell. I only got a little glimpse of this world and I- I changed, Joyce. I can't imagine what nightmares keep Will awake at night."

The brunette looked at me compassionate. "I haven't asked you at all how you're dealing with that whole thing...I'm so sorry, Emma."

I smiled at her. "Don't be. I'm alright, Joyce. Will's has been through much worse."

Joyce wanted to answer but was cut off. "EMMA!"

I turned around and saw Mike standing at the entrance.

"ARE YOU COMING, OR WHAT?",he yelled.

"Duty calls, Joyce. Don't worry about Will. Have a nice evening and watch a movie or something, alright?",I said to her and waved her goodbye.

"No! No! No!",Dustin yelled upset. "I hate this overpriced bullshit! Son of a bitch! Piece of shit!"

"You're not nimble enough. But you'll get there one day.",Lucas said arrogant. "But until then, Princess Daphne is still mine."

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "You beat my Highscore by...two points? I'm gonna get it back some day. Watch out, Sinclair."

Dustin rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I'm still tops on Centipede and Dig Dug."

"You sure about that?",Keith's voice suddenly appeared behind us and scared the shit out of me.

I shrieked and glanced angry at the teenager. "Never ever do that again! You hear me?"

"Sure about what?",Dustin asked.

Keith didn't answer. He just looked at us and put another Cheeto in his mouth.

I rolled my eyes and watched Dustin making his way to the game.

"751,300 points!",Will exclaimed in awe.

"That's impossible.",Mike said.

"Who is Mad Max?",the Henderson asked confused.

"Better than you.",Keith simply answered.

"Is it you?",the curly-haired boy questioned a bit angry.

The teenager scoffed. "You know I despise Dig Dug."

I rolled my eyes. "You play Donkey Kong like a maniac but despise Dig Dug? Someone has set their priorities right."

"If it's not you, then who is it?",Lucas asked.

"Yeah, spill it, Keith.",Dustin demanded.

"You want information, then I need something in return.",the teenager replied and looked at Mike.

"No, no, no. No way.",the Wheeler protested. "You're not getting a date with them."

My eyes widened.

"Mike, come on. Just get him the dates.",Lucas argued.

"I'm not prostituting my sister or Emma!",Mike yelled.

"But it's for a good cause.",the Sinclair replied.

"Lucas you asshole. Shut up!",I hissed at him.

"No, don't get him the date.",Dustin interrupted their discussion. "Know what? He's gonna spread his nasty-ass rash to your whole family."

"Acne isn't a rash and it isn't contagious, you prepubescent wastoid.",Keith argued.

I frowned. "Don't call him that, you idiot."

"Oh, I'm a waistoid?",the Henderson said. "She wouldn't go on a date with you, right Emma?"

I shook my head. "This conversation is so not on my level. I'm gonna go and see if Pac-Man works again."

I turned around and frowned when Will was suddenly nowhere to be seen.

I looked around and noticed him outside standing at the entrance of the arcade and looking up at the sky.

I made my way outside.

"Will?",I called his name. "You okay?"

He snapped out of his gaze and gasped.

"Yeah. I just...I needed some air.",the boy stuttered.

"Come on.",I ruffled his hair. "I think you're up on Dig Dug. Dustin's having a break down."