Will the Wise

"He was nice?",my best friend's asked through the phone in a mocking way

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"He was nice?",my best friend's asked through the phone in a mocking way.

It was almost midnight but here I was talking to Jonathan on my phone.

He called me to inform me that he won't be at school tomorrow and I asked him why but he said that he'd explain it to me another time so we just went on chatting.

I chuckled. "Yes, Jonathan, he was nice. I felt really comfortable in his presence. Unlike when Tommy or other boys from school were at my place."

"Aren't you still mad at him?",my best friend asked. "It's really hard keeping up."

I sighed and blowed a strand of hair out of my face. "I don't know. I'm so twisted when it comes to William freaking Hargrove. It's like I'm throwing all my morals and principles away when I'm with him."

"That's not how a relationship should work or a friendship if we want to start there.",Jonathan commented. "I mean look at us. We have the same opinions about most things. We both hate onions. We both have amazing taste in music."

"We're just too perfect for anyone on this planet.",I answered with a grin, which he couldn't see of course.

"I guess you're right.",my best friend dramatically sighed. "Sooo...it definitely sounds like you like him, Emma."

"Yeah, as a friend, Jonathan.",I answered. "I like him as a friend but nothing more."

"I never said that you'd like him in that kind of way.",the boy exclaimed amused. "But I think you've made it really clear how you feel about him."

I groaned. "Oh, shut up, Byers."

"Emma is in love, Emma is in love.",Jonathan said in a sing-sang.

"Oh God, have you looked at the time?",I fake gasped. "It's super, super late. Unlike you, I have school tomorrow."

"You coward.",my friend commented amused. "You can't run away from love, Emma."

I fake gagged. "Who are you? Cupid?"

"Just a wise friend."

"Good night, Jonathan.",I said to my friend.

"Good night, Sunflower."

I laid in my bed, wide awake and with millions of thoughts in my head.

Was Jonathan right? Was I really in love with Billy?

I've never really been in love so I didn't know how being in love felt.

I was sad when I saw Billy at school with that girl, I was super nervous when I picked up Max and saw him standing in his doorframe and I was happy when I talked to him earlier.

But I knew that this wasn't Billy's only side.

He was a bully and he had this personal vendetta against Steve.
Plus; he wasn't that nice to Max either.

I was an optimist but I wasn't a naive little kid.

I knew that I couldn't change Billy like the girls in the movies liked to dream about.
If he wasn't ready for change no one could force him to be a better man.

A knock on my door brought me back to reality.

I watched the door knob rotate carefully and automatically made some space on my mattress.

"Hey Emma.",Steve whispered. "Can I sleep here tonight?"

I smiled softly and lifted my blanket. "Of course."

Steve made his way to my bed and snuggled into my many pillows and stuffed animals.

"You can't sleep either?",my brother mumbled after he made himself comfortable.

"Yup."

"What's on your mind?",the boy asked.

I sighed. "A lot. You, Nancy, Billy, Will...Every single person I know."

"Billy?",my brother asked confused. "Why would he be on your mind?"

"Jonathan said that when I'm talking about Billy, I sound like I'm in love with him.",I replied. "It's just- I don't think I am. I like him...a lot but he is not good for me, Steve. He is so mean to you, to his sister, actually to almost everyone. That's not a person I want to be in love with."

"Jesus, Emma.",my brother sighed. "This is literally my worst nightmare..."

I giggled.

"I actually don't know what advice I could give you.",Steve said. "You know my opinion about him. The only advice I can give you is to follow your heart, because that's what you do best. Your heart never led you in the wrong direction, so I know that it won't do that this time either."

I smiled at his words. "Thank you, Steve. That was really good big-bother-advice. I appreciate it."

"I should open up a business. Steve Harrington's advice booth. Sounds good, right?",he joked.

"I would be your first customer.",I mumbled a bit sleepy now.

"Of course you would.",my brother lowered his voice now a bit and made me even sleepier with that.

"Good night, Steve.",I whispered and snuggled a bit more against my pillows.

"Good night, Emma.",I heard him say.

The last thing I felt was him pressing a kiss on my forehead and then finally fell asleep.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.