The Pollywog

Thank God, almost no one found it strange anymore when Hopper dropped me off at school

He did that every now and then, so the sight of a police car on the school grounds became almost normal to everyone.

I had my bike in his trunk and quickly grabbed it so that he could drive to the police station.

When I got to the parking lot, I started looking around, searching for Nancy or Steve but couldn't see them anywhere and sighed.

I really hoped they would work things out.

I took a step back abruptly when a car raced past me and almost ran over me.

Anger flushed through my veins when I recognized the blue Camero.
Billy.

Of course it was him. Again. He was the only person who would drive so irresponsible in a freaking parking lot.

I still had to figure out how best to approach him, as I kinda told him to shove his stupid jacket up his ass.

Unfortunately, my judgment was a little bit clouded when Billy got out of his car with a look on his face, that showed how carefree he was and how little the fact, that he almost killed me again must have affected him.

"Are you insane, Billy?",I yelled and walked towards him when he got out of his car."You could've killed me. This is the second time in not even 24 hours."

"Here we go again.",Billy muttered and rolled his eyes.

"I can't believe it. This is useless.",I muttered to myself. "You're never going to change, are you? You'll always be this ignorant and self-centered idiot."

"I'm not the one who is uncomfortable with that.",he countered.

"What is wrong with you?",I asked him angry. "Why can't you be like any other human being on this planet?"

"Oh my God, get over it.",he groaned annoyed.

"No!",I yelled. "I don't want to get over it. I want you to be responsible. You can't tell everyone to just get over it when you hurt them. That's not how life works, Billy!"

"Jesus Christ, get over yourself.",he laughed in a mocking way. "Everyone can keep their mouths shut, except for Emma 'fucking' Harrington. You and your brother have that in common."

"You know what?",I spat. "I was so stupid and thought about apologizing to you just a minute ago. How could I even think about that for a second? I don't want to be your friend anymore, if we even ever were friends, and I don't want to talk to you anymore. I don't need someone like you in my life."

My eyes widened when I realized what I've said.

That was mean. Why did I say that? What is going on with me?
A-And was that sadness in Billy's eyes?

"I-I didn't mean to-."

"You're right.",the boy exclaimed with a low voice that was giving me goosebumps. "Thank God, I am not your friend. Who needs such a clingy and annoying person anyway?"

I gasped and opened my mouth but closed it when I couldn't think of something to say to him in return.

"I hate you, Billy Hargrove.",I spat after a few seconds of silence.

"That is not really creative, Princess.",he answered and smiled in a bitter way.

He then started walking towards the school building and disappeared.

"Asshole.",I muttered under my breath and kicked a small rock.

"Hey, Emma.",a voice appeared behind me. "You okay? That was...a pretty heated fight you guys just had."

I turned around and meet Max's worried gaze.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine.",I replied and sighed. "Billy's just being Billy."

"I'm sorry that he almost ran you over.",she muttered with an apologetic expression on her face.

I shook my head. "Don't do that, Max. Don't clean up his mess. Billy drove the car, not you. Don't apologize for something you didn't do, honey."

"I just- I don't want you to think that I'm okay with- with his behavior.",Max muttered. "I don't want you to think that I'm like him."

I smiled softly at the girl and put my hand on her cheek. "I would never think that, Max. You're not like Billy and you'll never be."

"Thank you, Emma.",Max replied. "That means a lot to me."

"Of course.",I smiled. "By the way; how about we go to the arcade together in the afternoon? I could pick you up and drive you home if you want to?"

Max nodded in excitement. "Yes, that sounds awesome!"

"Alright, I'll see you later then?"

"Yeah, see you later."