MAD MAX

"Okay

"Okay. Ready?",Steve asked us when we arrived at the Holland's front door.

Nancy and I nodded and Steve rang the doorbell.

I shivered a bit because of the cold air outside and cursed myself for forgetting my scarf and hat.

It was fucking freezing out there.

After a few seconds, Mrs. Holland opened the door and welcomed us with a big smile.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get to cook.",Barbara's mother spoke. "I was gonna make that baked ziti you guys like so much, but I just forget about the time, and before you know it, Oh my God, it's five o'clock."

I smiled softly. Marsha was such a nice woman.

"It's fine. It's great.",Nancy replied.

"Right. I love KFC.",Steve exclaimed and took a bit from his chicken wings.

"So, I noticed a 'For Sale' sign out in your yard. Is that the neighbors', or...?",my best friend started a conversation.

"You wanna tell them?",Marsha looked at her husband.

"Go ahead.",he answered and continued eating his chicken.

"We hired a man named Murray Bauman. Have either of you heard of him?",Mrs. Holland questioned.

I nodded. "Yeah. He was an investigative journalist for the Chicago Sun Times. But he got fired and now he's coming almost every day to the Police Department and talks about Russians and aliens in Hawkins."

"He's teaching Emma Russian.",Steve told them with a smile.

"He agreed to take Barbara's case since he's freelance now.",Marsha informed us.

"I wouldn't call it freelance but sure.",I muttered to myself.

Steve kicked my leg and put on a smile. "That's...That's great."

Nancy frowned. "Um, what exactly does that mean?"

"Means he's gonna do what that lazy son of a bitch Jim Hop-." "Cheers to that, Mr. Holland." "what the Hawkins police haven't been capable of doing. Means we have a real detective on the case."

"It means...we're going to find our Barb.",Mrs. Holland spoke with hope in her voice.

I took a big sip out of my glass so that I didn't need to reply to that.

"If anyone can find her, it's this man.",Barb's father added. "He already has leads. By God, he's worth every last penny."

"Is that why you're selling the house?",the Wheeler girl asked.

"Don't worry about us, sweetie. We're fine.",Marsha replied. "More than fine. For the first time in a long time, we're hopeful."

"Excuse me. I'll be right back.",Nancy stammered and left the table.

I looked after her a bit worried.

"I'm gonna use the toilet real quick. Girl problems.",I excused me with a small smile and got up as well to follow Nancy.

I found my best friend sitting at the edge of the bathtub, crying.

"Nance.",I mumbled. "Don't cry."

I pulled her in my arms and hugged her tightly.

"They are so hopeful, E-Emmy.",my best friend said while sobbing. "But she's dead. Barbara is dead. No Murray Bauman, no Jim Hopper, no one is gonna bring her back. I feel so guilty."

"I know.",I mumbled while gently rubbing her back.

"I miss her, Emmy. I miss Barb so much.",my best friend sobbed.

"Me too, Nance. We will make sure that Barb didn't die for nothing. I promise, Nance. I promise.",I whispered softly.