MAD MAX

"Hey, Flo

"Hey, Flo. Can you please get Hopper on the phone?",I asked the woman on the other side of the line.

I decided to call Hopper in my lunch break because I needed to cancel our dinner tonight.

It wasn't actually just mine and Hopper's dinner that I canceled.
I promised Eleven to be there tonight but I couldn't.

Hopper and I didn't give up on her after what happened at the Middleschool.
We were in the woods almost every evening and left Eleven food, mostly eggos.
We firmly believed in finding her and actually did.
She was completely supercooled and in strange clothes when we found her but she was alive.

I was so happy and relieved.

We brought her to a cabin that once belonged to Hopper's grandfather and was hidden in the middle of the woods.
No one could find her there and she'd be safe.

We usually had dinner almost everyday together since Steve was a lot at Nancy's and never noticed when I wasn't at home.

I even tried teaching El how to read and write and gave her some simple math exercises.
We made some good progress.

"Of course, honey. Wait a sec.",Flo replied and brought me back to reality.

It was silent for a few seconds until Hopper's voice appeared. "Emma, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to say that I can't come to our dinner tonight. I'm already having dinner at the Holland's with Nancy and Steve.",I explained to him. "I forgot to tell you about that. I'm so sorry, Hops."

"Don't be. It's fine, kid.",Hopper answered. "I'll have a nice evening even without you."

I grinned. "That is almost impossible because I am obviously the life of the party but okay. Have fun."

"I will.",he replied and hung up.

I sighed and looked around.

Lunch break had just began and everyone was outside sitting with their friends and eating.

I decided to spend my time at Jonathan's car and eat my sandwich there.
It was much quieter there.