1 - that stupid old car

''Listen, well, it's better than last time. That's for sure. It's not your score yet... I can feel it,'' I said, avoiding the girl's face next to me.

''I studied for hours and... I just feel useless at this!'' the girl exclaimed as I gave her back a test with the grade B- marked it red on it.

''Hey, Thelma, no! Don't say that. The teacher's gonna see how consistent you are with your grades and it'll be much better...'' I insisted.

''Is that how it's for you in math class?'' Thelma joked.

I tilted my head and squinted my eyes at the girl.

''That's different... I have a different purpose other than trying to figure out why a triangle is a triangle,'' I joked. ''but since you are not yet in your last year at school and have MANY, MANY years to study, I'd say you better try not to give up on English yet, okay?''

''All right, I'll try,'' Thelma said, nodding.

I was still sitting by my desk, watching as the girl packed her bag. We walked out of my bedroom together and I watched as her usual steps full of excitement were replaced by a sorrowful walk.

''Goodbye, Mrs. Newandyke!'' Thelma said, passing the kitchen.

My mother waved goodbye to the girl and I closed the door behind her. I stepped inside the kitchen.

''I could feel from that walk downstairs that it hasn't gotten much better,'' my mother commented.

I shrugged in response.

''No, she's gotten a lot better. It was the test that was really messed up. To put it simply - she had to order some stupid dates correctly and messed up. She knew the years and wrote them down but messed up the order...'' I explained.

My mother nodded, putting on her apron.

''And she didn't get any points?'' she asked.

''She got one out of six because the teacher felt sad, you see, that she had messed that up... complete ass,'' I said. ''well, I'm just mad because she knew the answers... I'm still proud of her.''

''What about the essay? Has she gotten that back yet?''

''Not yet. It was a big essay to write for seventh-graders,''

''I'm making pasta. Sounds good?''

I nodded and poured myself a cup of coffee.

''Nat, you had one before you started working,'' my mother scolded.

''And now I have more work to do!'' I exclaimed, rushing out of the kitchen and back upstairs carefully with the cup in my hands.

After closing my bedroom door and placing the cup on my desk, I sat down again. Despite my hatred for the subject, I knew the 12th-grade math textbook had to be opened. However, as soon as the homework task had begun confusing me, I heard a loud scream.

I instantly looked out the window but saw nothing suspicious for a minute. Soon, I recognized the Shenk family leaving a house. I quickly ran downstairs.

''It seems that the new family has finally moved in. The Shenks just left there, dragging Dylan out like a doll. Seems they're going to be fun!'' I announced to my mother.

Going back to my studies, I found myself looking frequently at the giant house, hoping to see at least a glimpse of the family living on the other side of the street.

''Nat! Come down in five minutes! Dinner's almost ready!'' my father yelled.

''Okay!'' I replied loudly and scribbled the last part of the homework task as fast as I could. I knew that after dinner and some kind of movie that dad would put on, I would find no interest in studying math.