26 - girls, girls, girls

Mr. Baker's loud announcements made both me and Charlie wake in confusion and instant regret not having enough sleep. With our conversation last night, we hadn't gotten much sleep.

''I'm not practicing for any competition...'' Charlie grunted and turned back to his side facing the wall.

''I'm afraid we don't have a choice,'' I replied and took a long breath.

According to my watch, only five hours had passed since Charlie and I had talked and Mr. Baker was ready to prepare everyone for the upcoming competition.

I turned to Charlie and patted his back a couple of times until I started to lightly push him more towards me.

''Can we just stay here and not... ow!'' as Charlie was trying to convince us both to stay in bed, I knew it would be best if we did it willingly and not have his dad come into our room and command us to get out. I lightly pinched Charlie on the arm and he sat up.

Squinting his eyes, he gave me a warning look. I leaned in and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek.

''Time to get up,'' I said and stood up, slapping my hands against my thighs. ''before Lorraine takes the bathroom, I'll go pee.''

As I washed my face in the cold water, a small knock on my door made my head turn.

''Mm?'' I asked without turning around.

''You got a text,'' Charlie's voice replied.

I opened the door, my hands still damp.

''Who is it?'' I dried my face and hands in the towel and asked back.

''Anne,''

''Hm,'' I replied simply, not liking the idea of hearing anything about her first thing in the morning. ''what did she say?''

''I didn't check,'' Charlie replied and chuckled.

''Read it,'' I said while yawning and turning to the toilet to take my chance to use it before any of the other kids would take it.

Charlie looked down at me for a second and then back at the phone.

''Uhh..'' he began, reading the message as he spoke. ''Hi! It's Anne. Would you like to come over to the sleepover tonight? I'd love for you to join me.''

''Hmmm...'' I quietly said and flushed the toilet. ''I mean, I've thought about it. I guess... there's no harm in going there. We might get along.''

''I'm sure you will,'' Charlie answered and handed me the phone. ''I just don't want any funny business from her.''

''I thought we agreed that there's nothing like that,'' I snapped back a little too sharply and Charlie instantly shook his head.

''No, true, true. I just don't want her to bother you, especially after all that,''

''Okay, yeah,'' I whispered back. ''I understand, well...''

I placed my hands on Charlie's shoulders, my phone already resting in my pocket.

''Let's just see what happens. I doubt she'll have a plan for stealing you away from me when I'm there,'' I grinned and kissed him.

''Yeah... you wanna go practice some... egg racing?'' Charlie asked in a teasing tone.

''Again...'' I began and opened the door to the hallway. ''I don't think we have a choice.''

Charlie's dad's voice was heard from inside, as he yelled at the kids who practiced, as we understood, volleyball. We rushed back to our room, hoping that no one would bother us until we got ready.