8 - ''omg, stop. look at me, it's not you''

We drove to a cafe, parking just outside of it. Charlie and I didn't talk much on our way there, even though I started a conversation many times. I instantly knew something was off.

Having entered the cafe, we looked around, and I noticed a lonely table by the window deep in the room.

''I see a place,'' I said, smiling, and lead the way.

I sat down, taking off my jacket just to realize that the shirt I had picked out had something spilled on it. I leaned closer so Charlie couldn't see it. He sat opposite of me.

I looked at the menu in front of us, sometimes glancing at Charlie.

''So I think you're in a very thoughtful mood right now,'' I said quietly, looking up from the menu.

Charlie nodded slightly, sighing.

''That noticeable?''

''Not that everyone needs to be cheerful all the time

''Not that everyone needs to be cheerful all the time... but I can see something's up,''

Charlie nodded again, looking at the menu as well. Although, his eyes seemed to scan the page more than actually focus on anything.

A waitress walked up to our table.

''I'll have... the salted pistachio eclair and a cup of cocoa,'' I smiled, looking at her.

''I- I need a minute to think,'' Charlie quietly said.

''Oh, I wouldn't have ordered yet,''

''I'll come back and then we'll make yours, Miss,'' the waitress replied.

''Great!'' I smiled back.

When she was gone, I turned to Charlie.

''Come to think of it... you weren't really that quiet when you walked up to my window. What happened?'' I asked.

''I just kept thinking more about the old place and how my life was different there. It's not... bad here, but it's really different, you know? I didn't think the change would be so big for me...''

''I understand... so you're homesick?'' I asked.

Charlie shrugged but then his face frowned.

''I think having come here, I realize I'm not half-good as the others on my team, at school,'' he continued.

''Charlie...''

''No really, I feel like an idiot-''

The waitress' steps stopped Charlie.

''I'll have the burger and tea,''

''What kind?''

''Just black,''

''All right,'' the waitress replied. ''I'll be back in a bit.''

When she was gone, I turned back to Charlie.