5 - skirts and chemistry sets

I had just finished putting on makeup and hopped away from my desk to put on the clothes I had picked out. Having put them on, I looked at myself in the mirror for a brief moment and then checked the time. I had a few minutes to spare, but I decided to go to the Baker's house early.

I walked over the street, already being able to hear the loud morning atmosphere as soon as I stepped closer to the house. I leaned against the wall and fixed my skirt.

Soon, a few young kids ran outside, only one noticing me. He was much slower than the rest, had ginger hair, and glasses. He gave me a small smile and walked away with the rest of them.

''Hey!'' a voice said from my left, as I watched the kids run off.

Charlie gave me a warm smile, as he approached me.

''Hi,'' I smiled back.

''God, this morning is such a hazard,''

''Why?''

''Just dad giving out orders like we're his little team of football players,'' Charlie explained, his voice somewhat annoyed.

''I understand,'' I said and sighed. ''but dads kind of do that...''

''How did you sleep?'' Charlie asked, starting to smirk. ''I hope no one saw you coming late in like that.''

I laughed lightly.

''They were already sleeping and I made no noise,'' I proudly replied.

Charlie nodded, checking the door again.

''If Lorraine's going to make us be late again, I'll kick the bathroom door down,''

''You will not do that!" I rolled my eyes, looking away, and then looked back at Charlie. ''but she is coming, right?''

Charlie smiled, scratching his neck.

''Yeah, she just loves having the whole bathroom to herself. It used to be a bigger problem but now we have more of those,''

I nodded and Charlie joined me, standing against the wall. Even though I wasn't looking directly at Charlie, I could feel his eyes scanning me. His gazing was interrupted by Lorraine.

''Hey,'' she greeted sweetly, walking in front of us. ''I'm Lorraine.''

''I'm Natalie! I'll be riding with you guys while Charlie fixes my car,'' I chuckled.

As we stepped inside the car, I took the front seat and Lorraine sat in the back. We drove through the streets calmly.

''I like your outfit, Natalie,'' Lorraine said, breaking the silence.

Even though Charlie had been giving me a couple of glances, he hadn't said anything.

''Thanks!'' I replied enthusiastically, turning my head towards her.

''You know, it's great to see someone around here with a bit of fashion sense,'' Lorraine replied, glancing at Charlie.

''I saw that...'' he immediately said.

''Look at the road!'' I ordered, patting him on the shoulder.

My head was still turned towards Lorraine.

''I appreciate it, even though I'm not any sort of expert myself,'' I said. ''Charlie says that you are though...''

''Oh, I'd like to say so,'' Lorraine answered. ''I've always been the one in the house with the greatest sense of fashion and understanding of putting effort into my looks.''

I nodded and noticed Charlie's smirk.

''Well, what do you think of Natalie's look, Charlie?'' Lorraine interrogated Charlie, tilting her head.